Wide track tyre

/ Wide track tyre #11  
Skinny Tires? mmmmmmmmm
I just abandoned ship a couple of hours ago when the aforementioned skinny rear tire went airborn while carrying a concrete pipe rigged over the FEL.
Dropped the load which helped a little but still kept me in the air.Shut the engine down & put her in neutral,gently opened the upside door & jumped.
I had a large tree just in front of me so I knew there was no danger to anyone else,it hit that then all 4 were on the floor again so I unhooked & came in at a different angle.
Word of advice; If you have a 4 in 1 bucket,open it up & sling loads in close.
I've actually lifted rear tires before with loads in the bucket which prompted me to do the tire swap thing for stability.

Dave have you got a counterweight hanging of the back of that thing?
Even with loaded tyres if your picking up a decent load you need a substantial counterweight of a few hundred kilo to operate safely and it helps take the strain off the front axles.
BTW how is that thing running now?

/ Wide track tyre #12  
... and it helps take the strain off the front axles.

Beg to differ sir, with all due respect:
The front axle is the fulcrum point (as you know). Any counterweight added to the rear also adds that same amount to the front axle when lifting with the FEL.

/ Wide track tyre #13  
Beg to differ sir, with all due respect:
The front axle is the fulcrum point (as you know). Any counterweight added to the rear also adds that same amount to the front axle when lifting with the FEL.
That statement is just plain dumb. Are you forgetting that you have a set of rear tires and adding weight behind the rear acts as a fulcrum helping to remove weight from the front axle. Of course if you had the power in the FEL to pick up the rear axle with the counterweight on it, you would be adding weight to the front axle, BUT, FELs dont have that much power. Putting a couple thousand pounds on the 3 PH removes that much or more weight from the front axle (front fulcrum) by applying reverse pressure to the front axle. This keeps your rear on the ground and applies some of the FEL weight to the rear axle. The further back the counterweight is from the rear axle the more effective it is which is why a 1500 lb. bushhog on the rear does more than a 1500 lb. ballast box slung between the lift arms.

/ Wide track tyre
Dave have you got a counterweight hanging of the back of that thing?
Even with loaded tyres if your picking up a decent load you need a substantial counterweight of a few hundred kilo to operate safely and it helps take the strain off the front axles.
BTW how is that thing running now?
I took off the slasher when I did the clutch & haven't put it back on yet.Think I'll do that today before any more lifting.
New clutch install went well & seems to have done the trick so far but I think the fingers to the pto clutch are still a bit far away at max adjustment.Once I get my shed up & power to the block I'll machine up some spacers for the adjustment bolts.I'll post up some photos soon.

/ Wide track tyre #16  
Great idea!!! I'll be doing that to my 50hp tomorrow, thanks for the images really helps. I have counter weights at the rear and filled them with water....works really well you might want to try it.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Swapped the two front tyres over & changed out the centre hubs on the rear.
Makes it feel so much more stable.:thumbsup:

/ Wide track tyre
I filled the rear wheels with water to just up over 1/2 way & that helps too.