Wife shot another hog

/ Wife shot another hog #11  
Eddie, we don't have wild hogs in this area, at least as far as I know, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you have any concerns about parasites in the meat? Also, wonder what the meat tastes like compared to store bought pork?
I hunt, but only pheasant and ducks, so no experience with four legged critters.

/ Wife shot another hog #12  
Can feral hogs be shot on sight, or are there restrictions?

Seems like a growing problem although not so much in the Northeast. Just looked it up - oh, perfect, the one place in New England with reports is Sullivan County NH!

national-swine-map.jpg

In the past 30 years, though, their ranks have swollen until suddenly disease-carrying, crop-devouring swine have spread to 39 states. Now, wild pigs are five million strong and the targets of a $20-million federal initiative to get their numbers under control.

....As pigs spread, they wreak havoc on the lands they inhabit. Wild pigs cause at least $1.5 billion in damages and control costs each year, according to a 2007 survey, mostly to agriculture. Dubbed the “rototillers of nature,” they dig up fields, create wallows in pastures and destroy fences. A

This is wild:
A team in New Mexico is using a hunting approach that employs a “Judas pig,” named for the biblical disciple who betrayed Jesus. They affix a radio collar to a pig and set it free, then follow it to its sounder (group of animals). After a year of using this method state agents had eliminated 687 wild pigs and wiped them from 10 of the 17 counties where they had once roamed.

Last edited:
   / Wife shot another hog #14  
Congrats! I'm a little jealous!!!

/ Wife shot another hog #15  
Great size! This is one of my worst years yet for hogs... Killed 8 so far, not near enough.

What kind of fence did you put up?

/ Wife shot another hog #17  
You are a lucky man Eddie. I sure wish my wife would hunt with me. I do miss her opening week of Texas deer season, and almost every weekend of Louisiana deer season.

/ Wife shot another hog #18  
Can feral hogs be shot on sight, or are there restrictions?

No restrictions, day or night, 24/7, 365 days a year, kill as many as u can..

Not only that, we have no restrictions on how we kill them either. If it's legal to own and operate, it's legal to kill a hog with. If you have a class 3 and have a full auto 50 cal mounted on a turret on your jeep, you can shoot pigs with it. Own a mountain howitzer and want to shoot pigs? Go right ahead. Feel like setting claymore mines for them? If you can legally own them, you can kill pigs with them. We're even allowed to shoot them out of helicopters if we want to.

Helicopter hunting has proven to be a fairly good management toll lately but to have the best chance at full eradication, serious trapping is required. If any of you Texas guys need a trap, I build them. I'm still looking for distributors as well, it doesn't need to be a retail storefront or anything either, if you've got a place to store some traps and are willing to answer the phone and meet people to collect the money and help them load one up, you could make some extra income. I really need locations around DFW, East Tx and Shreveport area but I'd be open to anywhere in Tx or La and I'm willing to do traps on consignment so you don't have any risk. If anybody is interested, contact me and we can discuss details - Traps for Feral Hogs | Texas Wild Hog Traps.

Sorry for the hijack and congrats on taking one down. I'm fortunate to not have any on my property in South Texas yet, but they're around me. When I was on a lease in East Texas outside Kirbyville, we were overrun with them and you're right about them running off the deer. I killed 36 in the first 5 weeks I was on that lease (mostly trapping them) and started seeing deer. The other guys refused to shoot any pigs and had no deer on their feeders all year. When it came time to renew the following year, they told me I wasn't wanted back because I killed too many pigs and ruined their hunting...:duh::confused2:

/ Wife shot another hog #19  
image.jpgimage.jpg
That's them in my food plots and the second was this evening looks like the field fence is keeping some out. I could have put an arrow in one those pretty easy,they lucky wasn't my side.

/ Wife shot another hog #20  
Just for info, I went on a wild pig hunt in Florida, where the cattle rancher said if you want to maintain 100 pigs year to year, you have to kill 70 each year or the population will grow. The females are breedable at about 6 months. In Michigan, you can hunt them while carrying any legal hunting license. Not sure about fishing license��