wife wants a dish washer

/ wife wants a dish washer #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
...we dont know the first thing about them.Im a pretty good handy man and shes an expert hardware store queen:DTogeather im sure we could hook it up.But what am i looking for in buying,what features,brand etc? Thanks in advance.
ALAN

/ wife wants a dish washer #2  
I've had my Whirlpool in for 2 years now and it seems to be holding up. Not bad for a $250 diswasher.

There was no dishwasher in the house when we bought so I had to modify the cabinet next to the sink. I spent more time doing the mods to the cabinet than it took to hook it up (had to run power too). One thing I did was glue some ¾" foam board to the interior of the space, with the factory blanket installed I swear you can't hear that thing unless you're standing in front of it.

I'll bet you could do it in a weekend if it's a new install, replacement should take a couple hours.

/ wife wants a dish washer #3  
I love the plastic interior tub. No leak after 10 years. I can't say the same about two metal tubs I had before. Mine's a Kenmore.

/ wife wants a dish washer #4  
do you have a spot next to the sink (within about 36" reach of the drain) to put it?

Do you currently have a disposer? if you do its simple, just knock out the cover plate on the dishwasher port and plug it in.

If not youll have to get a trap adapter from the hardware store.

They like to be on there own circuit, the disposer and dishwasher are a good match for a separate circuit. you dont want to add it to an existing kitchen receptical circuit. The large heating element in it does draw quite a few amps.

If you have enough exposed hot water pipe its easy to just T on it under the cabinet and run a section of PEX over to the dishwasher.

/ wife wants a dish washer #5  
BOUGHT AND INSTALLED A KITCHEN AID 3 YEARS AGO IT IS QUIET AND WORKS WELL USING LIQUID CASCADE SOAP. A DISHWASHER IS NEVER BIG ENOUGH . THINGS TO LOOK FOR : ADJUSTABLE TOP SHELF,WARMER SCRUB TEMP ,WISH I HAD CONTROLS ON TOP EDGE OF DOOR,ASK FOR TALL TUB.LOOK AT LOCATION OF SILVERWARE BASKET TO SAVE ROOM.BOSH WAS MY 1ST CHOISE MABE IT"S BIGER. FOR INSTALIATION ALL YOU NEED IS HOT WATER AND A DRAIN ADAPTER UNDER THE SINK. 20 AMP SEPERATE CIRCUT.TAKES THE SPACE OF 1 CABENET DO IT I APRECIATE IT EVERY DAY

/ wife wants a dish washer #6  
My GE plastic tub started disintegrating. It left all kinds of plastic residue on the dishes when it started to fail. Was 8 years old. I'm currently thinking of a stainless tub, but, if woodchuckie is correct and they leak after time, I might just continue to wash dishes by hand. :(

Carl

/ wife wants a dish washer #7  
Avoid the European ones. They are made to metric dimensions and don't fit quite right in US cabinets. (In Europe I would avoid American ones.) Plus they are very expensive and no better than US ones in durability.

I have had good results with stainless interiors, better than plastic.

When you hook it up, never get the kind of shut-off valve that has one handle and two outlets, one for hot water at the sink, and one for dishwasher. All that means is that if the dishwasher breaks down & you have to shut the water off to it, you can't wash dishes by hand either.

/ wife wants a dish washer #8  
Our stainless steel Bosh is doing a fine job so far and is very quiet.

Dan

/ wife wants a dish washer #9  
To avoid all those choice and installation problems stand in front of a mirror and say "I am The Dishwasher". :D

Better choice all around as it's entirely automated!:p

/ wife wants a dish washer #10  
Well, there are few things in our house that get my total attention and the Dishwasher is high on that list. If your kitchen can handle an install cabinet base type dishwasher it is the way to go.

First rule: Let the wife make the decision on what she wants to buy. This will includes color, stainless or normal wash basin (inside looks), racks for loading dishes and glasses, seeing I never seem to put dishes in there I know nothing about them, wash cycle features, check for length of wash cycle (only say that as we just purchased a new dishwasher with water soil testing and it take nearly 3 hours to do a single washing cycle) It also has a one hour wash cycle.

I am always amazed as how the wife and her friends can sit in the kitchen and talk about how great the dishwasher is and also that it is extremely quite! Gosh I hope she doesn稚 read this!!

Just about all of the newer dishwashers are provided with the electrical on the front right side, and the water inlet valve on the front left hand side. (these connections are located in the bottom of the unit about 2 in from the front)

Hookups are straight forward, with any luck can be accomplished in less than two days and no more than four or five trips to the hardware store! With the latest one we bought I found out they do not provide the water line fittings and the old fitting wouldn遞 work either as the new unit really required a 90 degree fitting. I also elected to use a stainless steel flex line to go from the washer to the shut-off valve. In my case this is located in the cellar. This provides flexibility for directing the water line from the dishwasher fitting down into the cellar to the shut-off valve (do not forget to add a shut-off valve).

Electrical is pretty easy as with most units there is a small electrical box with the L1-L2 and ground wires. Just a few twist-lock fittings and you are connected.

And best of all once installed you can now approach here with your thoughts on that new implement for the tractor. The one that will make it easier to do more work for her!