Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #11  
On the same topic, one can make a mistake thinking we can power through one of those 'little' thorny vines on the ground.
Easy enough to tear a ACL when the vine laughs at us and the boot comes to a dead stop.
I don't like high stepping through the vegetation but better then getting hung up and falling on top of those suckahs.....!:thumbsup::)

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #12  
Off topic, I had a dead limb fall and hit the right rear fender and dent it. It was a big enough limb to do damage, luckily it hit behind me and I front of the ROPS. I was pushed forward a little as it hit. It fell without warning.

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #13  
You guys never cut grapevines off at the ground and then use them for Tarzan swinging ropes. Real fun to find one on the edge of a hill so you can swing out over the edge and at times be 40-50 feet above the ground below.

Many, many times as a kid. Brother and I were always on the lookout for a good one. :)

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #14  
You guys never cut grapevines off at the ground and then use them for Tarzan swinging ropes. Real fun to find one on the edge of a hill so you can swing out over the edge and at times be 40-50 feet above the ground below.

Used to do that til I found one of the grape vines was really poison ivy.

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #15  
We bought some wooded property a year ago and it has some of the biggest wild grape vines I've ever seen. The vines are tangled up in the canopy about 70 feet up so I went around with a hatchet cutting them at the base last summer. Most fell to the ground over the winter and the rest are ready to fall

They dry out quick when you cut off the water

55390120812__5486EDF4-CC2C-4CD3-9463-7F7CAF9FB727.JPG

55390123459__FEE12A7B-808B-4EE3-84BC-04237BD65FAF.JPG

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #16  
We have those here in northern VA too; My wife and I cut them off at the base and watch the water just pour out of them. I hook the ends with my backhoe and drive away. We have pulled 75-100 foot vines out of our tree line/canopy. Sometimes the limbs break, but most often they will unwrap/release. Nasty, nasty things choking off the healthy vibrant trees.

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #17  
Madhouse,

Your experience is the exact reason I built a hood guard and a head guard for my tractor soon after buying it (about 15 years ago). 9 gage flattened expanded metal offers some protection while allowing upward visibility.

5B602849-929D-4F1A-9A35-75F3651C11FB.jpeg

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #18  
I've been dealing with grape vines, similar to what you have pictured as well as some poison ivy vines just as big, for two years now. I *believe* I have most of them on the property cut off. I carry loppers and a Stihl electric chainsaw in my Mule, and loppers on the tractor.

We bought some wooded property a year ago and it has some of the biggest wild grape vines I've ever seen. The vines are tangled up in the canopy about 70 feet up so I went around with a hatchet cutting them at the base last summer. Most fell to the ground over the winter and the rest are ready to fall

They dry out quick when you cut off the water

View attachment 603790

View attachment 603792

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss
Henro - I like your head guard. I really surprised this isn't an option for tractors. I don't want a cab - I get on an off the tractor too much for that. But an open safety cage makes a lot of sense to me.

/ Wild Grape Vines are STRONG! - Near Miss #20  
ROPS/FOPS was an important consideration for me in a heavily wooded area as well. Glad you are ok and thanks for sharing.