Price Check Wild west

/ Wild west #11  
I was really interested in a new Kioti here in well populated southeast Michigan. had to pass on my local dealer though, after he failed to give me any real quotes and told me "I don't really do the email thing".

Get with the times, people! Arg.

/ Wild west #12  
your bx25 price seems high compared to pricing in Northern states (ND/MN)
I not too long ago bought a B2620 w/ fel and BH for less than you have listed for the BX25.

would have expected the BX to be less.

/ Wild west #13  
Hey Steveinyuma,
I'll go along with the folks who are recommending you look at the CK20S in addition to the others on your list (it's the current model of the CK20, has 22 HP, and as others have said, is largely the same as the Bobcat CT122). Most of the work you point out is "ground engaging". The CK20S is heavier than most of those other models, and when I compared it with the Kubota BX's (which I really like, BTW, and the local Kubota dealer is stellar), I found its lift and other capabilities to be roughly 50% higher. Most folks have noted that it is fairer to compare the Kioti to a B-series (not BX), but the B-series commands a price premium above the Kioti. And so it goes...

Also, make sure you look at ground clearance. This will make a big difference if your ground is rough at all (which it sounded like it might be). Some oif the smallest tractors can have about half the ground clearance of the next larger series.

In the end, I'm going to recommend you make sure to figure out which tractor really meets your needs, and then do your best to acquire one. Don't do yourself a disservice, as someone pointed out above in this thread, by eliminating tractors based on criteria that are not the MOST important.... and so the question: "What are your MOST important criteria?" is what you need to have solidly laid out for yourself.

Because of your situation, a significant problem with ANY tractor may require transport. This is simply a fact to work with. Buying even the most reliable brand does not get rid of this possibility... you can find stories here on TBN of many problems with ANY brand of tractor... it's just statistics, and you do your best to choose a good one, and then you get what you get (and hope it wasn't built just prior to the holiday weekend) :D .

I was in a similar situation as you, though there were a couple dealers closer by I could've selected. In the end, I knew that the CK20S was the best fit for me, so I accepted it was going to be 120 miles to the dealer. I've got a couple approaches in the back of my head for how to get it to the dealer if the need arises (which I hope it doesn't; I also have no truck nor trailer). I have a local Uhaul (rent trucks and trailers and tow equipment), I have good neighbors (though I'd feel hard pressed to call on one to borrow for such a distance, but, it is an option). And there are always old trucks and trailers for sale on craigslist. I figure if I'm going to have the tractor for at least 10 or 15 years, I'm likely to need to transport it, so I keep my eyes open for a good deal on a trailer.

Well, that's plenty long-winded enough. I wish you the very best, and mostly, that you end up with a tractor that makes you smile when you use it!
-Mitch

Last edited:
   / Wild west
PatasColo,
Great response. Narrow width and small size is most critical for access and storage both. I mentioned in an earlier post that the CT122 Bobcat was 5-6000 dollars more as quoted to me. It may be better, but that simply moves it out of the "value" realm in my book. The next Kioti dealer off from the one who quit responding is further than your 120 miles (and also doesn't stock SCUTS, just orders them). I definitely would consider it, unless it's similarly priced to the 122, and I suspect it is here in AZ, but not if I can't see it. The CS 2410 I wasn't that excited about when it used to be blue.
boakley,
This is clearly what I've found in my shopping. AZ prices are consistently more than other places with MSRP and advertised promos being it, no discounts or attachments thrown in, and other than Kubota BX, difficult to find real products. Out of state (cal and tx) quotes are better, but shipping, AZ's "use" tax", and some in state loyalty, pretty much kill that difference. In the end, it looks like this lack of interest in stocking SCUTS gives the main advantage to Kubota, 'cause they have something you can see and feel. Even with somewhat higher than the country prices, kinda makes me lean that way. Also, though I'm planning on keeping this 'til I'm dead or disabled, resale is within 2-3000 of new ones around here, if you can find one.
All,
I haven't put any effort into LS, though their J Series looks interesting. No response to email to dealer and Manufacturers website appears to be a historic look at 2010. Again, why bother? If you can't support a $10/hour typist once a week, how can you support a tractor?
Anyway, by mid June, I expect to quit typing and start scratching in the dirt with something, or at least putting down some scratch on it to get it home!

/ Wild west #15  
PatasColo,
...I mentioned in an earlier post that the CT122 Bobcat was 5-6000 dollars more as quoted to me. It may be better, but that simply moves it out of the "value" realm in my book. The next Kioti dealer off from the one who quit responding is further than your 120 miles (and also doesn't stock SCUTS, just orders them). I definitely would consider it, unless it's similarly priced to the 122, and I suspect it is here in AZ, but not if I can't see it.

As a data point for you, I found the Bobcat CT122 with backhoe was also being quoted here in N. Colorado at 4 to 5 thousand higher than the CK20S Kioti with backhoe... so you might find the CK20S to be still within your value realm. If that is the case, maybe it's worth it to call (phone) that nearest Kioti dealer. Yes, he's internet challenged. So are a lot of good people.... doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to buy a tractor from him. ( If he's also phone and people-interaction challenged, then that's a whole 'nother story! :D )

IMHO, the fact that a dealer isn't doing what "makes sense" to you or me from an internet/email standpoint shouldn't sway you too much, unless that's the ONLY method you're willing to use for communication (by your own choice). My experience shows me that plenty tractor dealers fall WAY short of the internet response we get from Amazon, eBay, or other internet-focused businesses. If they are doing fine without changing that, then they'll continue without changing (natural resistance to change, and if what you're doing is working, then why change anyway!?) So, don't try to make more sense or frustration of it than that... and focus on the things that will be important in the long haul while you have the tractor. :)

I have to admit, I'm sorta anxious to see what you end up doing! :tractor:
-Mitch

/ Wild west
Some time you're bored, look up Kioti dealers in Cal and AZ. Look up Deere dealers. Look for Mahindra, Massey Ferguson, then try CubCadet/Yanmar or even Ventrac. See what they have IN stock when you find one. Look at distances from 85362. They are far between and, as I stated, not all that competitive minded when it comes to SCUT.
I'm sorry, I know that people concentrate on what works for them, but seems like a business would want to do better, not just get by. I WON'T call as I can see that they obviously are too busy and don't need business from that PITA internet. Maybe I'm skipping a good tractor, but hey, I'd take one each Little One from all manufacturers if you were passing them out, and ask you for a big metal building to put them in!
I'm back where I started a year ago, having been to several states and visited 8-10 dealers of all types, with about half actually having tractors to show, many this past few weeks. I have not tried to nickle/dime dealers or gone back and forth with pricing, just expecting their best and real price and to see a product. I was treated pretty well by all when I actually showed up. Again, but why show up 100 miles away and find no tractors. I know I may have more time daily than a dealer, but I'm old and might be dead sooner than him too!
Time to quit whining and buy! Right? Upshot is, I spent part of today talking to a 3 yr happy BX25 owner.(showing his tractor when it's 112 degrees out there). Pending some final price/delivery/setup details, I"ll probably go with the Kubota. Salesmen have been responsive from several widespread locations. Compact size, adequate power, ease of attachment for loader and backhoe, and good reputation have 99% decided me. (The 1% is those fingers that write the check.) HST fore/aft control that I was sure I wouldn't like, seemed okay to my flakey right leg.
What I like about TBY is that for information and tips, I CAN have one of each (forums) any time I need too. I really appreciate all the input from this one, ('specially since I ended up here through my mistake!) but if things go as I hope, look for a picture soon at that other orange in Owning/Operating instead of Buying/Pricing.