Will 5 hp more matter ?

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #11  
I did the exact same thing about 2 months ago for basically the same reasons. I traded my 2210 in on a 2720. My 2210 was a great little machine and I did a ton of chores with it. I snowblowed a 1000' drive, mowed 2.5 acres, and did way more than I should have with the loader. I also have a pto chipper and there have been several people grenade their 2305/2210 tranies doing pto work. That worried me a little. I stayed with the 2000 series so I could keep the blower and I really didn't need the bigger 3000 series.

All I can comment on so far is I have had no power issues plowing snow in high range with a 6' plow. I have no regrets going with the 2720.

For those who say you run out of traction before you run out of power doing loader work with a hydrostatic tractor. Well you either don't have the recommended balast or your in some greasy ground or you actually have a high power to weight ratio tractor.

I have ran the 2210, 2720, and a tc35da. They all squeal on decent footing. The 2210 had 1000 lb. ballast the 2720 has 1400 lb and the tc35da has 2000 lb.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #12  
Well, I guess I can say that I have never done heavy work with a FEL, so power may be an issue.

But with my tractor, I do run out of traction. It is a highpower to weight ratio, BUT I am usually ballasted pretty good. Loaded tires, FEL, and Bushhog on back and I am weighing ~4500lbs with only 34HP. And I still have no trouble spinning my ag tires. And thats without ever seeing first and second gear. I always do FEL work in 3 or 4. So, 1st and 2nd would just put that much more power down.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #13  
Thats an advantage of a gear tractor, its gonna spin or stall.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #14  
I have a 2520, and while I can see the general argument for more horsepower, in my uses for my tractor, I don't miss it. The extra HP would make no real difference for mowing with the 62D MMM, my use of the FEL, and no real difference for dragging my 60" rear blade up and down the driveway. These are the things that my tractor spends 90% of it's time doing.

Now, if I was using more rear PTO driven attachments for a significant part the time, such as doing a fair amount of tilling, I would realize the benefit of the extra 5 HP. You have to consider how much of the time you would benefit from more horsepower in a tractor that is otherwise identical to a 2520. There certainly are scenarios where that is the case, you just have to evaluate whether that applies to your potential uses.

In reality, most of my tractor's time is spent being a sleeping place for a cat as it sits in the garage, in which case it doesn't matter that the tractor has an engine. The cat considers my use of the tractor to be cutting into his nap time.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #15  
The 2520, power wise, is comparable to my 770. If you are going to use the tractor on your property rather than commercially, I think the 2520 will have plenty of power for you.

Getting the horsepower to the ground can be achieved with added weight or ballast. If that doesn't do it , chains will.

The money is yours as is the choice. $1700 is a lot of money to me and could be used wisely on other needs.

Best wishes with your purchase.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #16  
The 2720 and 2520 are nearly identical. The hydraulics are the same, the transmissions are the same, the wheel sizes are the same and the hydrostatic drive will go into bypass at the same load so none of that additional power can go to the wheels. The only advantages that 2720 has is the increased PTO power and slightly more weight. It is also slightly longer by an inch or two which increases the turning circle. I currently have nothing that runs on the PTO so it would do nothing for me other than the Tim Allan affect (Arf, Arf, Arf).

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #17  
The 2720 and 2520 are nearly identical. The hydraulics are the same, the transmissions are the same, the wheel sizes are the same and the hydrostatic drive will go into bypass at the same load so none of that additional power can go to the wheels. The only advantages that 2720 has is the increased PTO power and slightly more weight. It is also slightly longer by an inch or two which increases the turning circle. I currently have nothing that runs on the PTO so it would do nothing for me other than the Tim Allan affect (Arf, Arf, Arf).

Just because the bypass is set the same doesn't mean the 2720 can't get more power to the wheels than a 2520. That is why I mentioned in my first post that the 2720 could pull the same load at a faster ground speed.

If you drive the two tractors up a road with a 5% grade pulling a 1000 lb trailer (Just an example) the 2720 will pull the hill faster than the 2520.
Horsepower is defined as work done over time, 33,000ftlbs/minute, so if you have more horsepower available you can move the same load in less time=moving the same load faster.

Last edited:
   / Will 5 hp more matter ? #18  
I sometimes bog my 26 Hp Kubota blowing snow with my 54" rear mounted snowblower. I don't notice the lack of HP doing other chores. I have a rototiller, and a chipper that I run off the PTO too, and they work fine. I don't mow with this tractor (yet) but I doubt that I would have any HP problems mowing. You will find plenty of nicer things about the larger tractor even if it is technically the same series for "tractor" chores. The 2305 might be a better mower. Would I go for the 2750? Well, I can't answer that for sure because I would have to think about it too, but I wouldn't call you foolish if you did.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #19  
I have a 2720 that I bought for my xmas pressie, I dont have enough hours on to give you any negatives other than the gas tank is akward to fill, you better eat your spinach!
So far its turning out to be everything I had hoped for and more.
I had started my search a year ago, looking at new 2305's, thought I had settled for a used 2520 and then decided that it would be tough to add the extra hp if I needed it. Ended up with a new 2720 w/200CX for 18,500 and I couldnt be happier (unless I had all the attachments I lust for). It cost me about an extra 1000 to go from the 2520 to the 27, over the life of the loan that is an easy burden.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #20  
I have a 2720 that I bought for my xmas pressie, I dont have enough hours on to give you any negatives other than the gas tank is akward to fill, you better eat your spinach!
So far its turning out to be everything I had hoped for and more.
I had started my search a year ago, looking at new 2305's, thought I had settled for a used 2520 and then decided that it would be tough to add the extra hp if I needed it. Ended up with a new 2720 w/200CX for 18,500 and I couldnt be happier (unless I had all the attachments I lust for). It cost me about an extra 1000 to go from the 2520 to the 27, over the life of the loan that is an easy burden.

As to filling the tank....I stand right up on the platform and pour. Filling it from ground level is awkward. At least on my 770.