Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself?

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #1  

gmikem206

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660
I will use my BX year round, and year round it will be outside (at least for the foreseeable future). I currently use a canvas tarp in winter. I would like to know if a hard shell type canopy will give the tractor itself much protection from the sun, snow, rain. Particularly concerned about protecting the electronics from water/snow/ice, and protecting the finish; also hoping the seat/deck area would be easier to clear of snow in the winter. Would snow load (say up to 10-12 inches) be a problem? Thanks for your input. Mike

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #2  
Obviously, a canopy will provide some protection. But, if you have blowing snow & rain, any protection will be minimal. IMO, a good tarp will provide far greater protection than any canopy until you build a garage or carport. If you use a tarp, be sure it covers the tires also. UV damage to tires causes cracking and early failure.

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #3  
I cannot address snow, being from Texas, but it does nothing to keep cats off the seats and does not extend forward of the steering wheel much. I would be surprised if it protected from anything except a straight vertical dusting of snow or rain. Anything blowing sideways will drift onto the drivers area with ease.

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #4  
You have to have closure on all sides and the top. Without full closure or sloppy full closure (better than nothing) wind driven weather will get in. Just having a car port will help to keep the sun off it during mid day in the season where the sun is directly overhead in your area. It will keep hail off it. Other than that it's useless. Speaking from experience.

Mark

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself?
Thanks for your replies. I would still use the canvas tarp in winter as I do now. I understand the wind driven weather will still get weather below the canopy. I did just start using a brown plastic tarp for summer that goes over the ROPS and mostly covers the tires. I was just trying to get a sense if there was much benefit from the canopy, other than my comfort. Of course once I had a canopy, a flexible enclosure would go on my want/need list (seems like this is how this goes).

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #6  
I keep a riding mower in a carport year round and it has worked out fine for me. The carport roof is about 6' above ground at the sides and that provides a good measure of protection from wind driven rain & snow. I do not tarp my riding mower. Any rain/snow that blows in on the equipment dries quickly once the rain/snow stops. Currently I keep my tractor in the barn but would not hesitate to store it in the carport if the barn were not available.

/ Will a Canopy Provide Much Protection for the Tractor Itself? #7  
For the cost of a metal carport of 10x20 for $599 around here, it is cheap protection. One could invest in some additional sheet metal and at least enclose the sides to the ground level. A tarp hung at each end would make a fairly good weather tight enclosure.
I hate to see tractor or cars parked out in the elements 100% of the time. A 5 year old tractor looks like a 50 year old by that time with faded paint, rotten seat and rusty parts.