Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL?

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #11  
To add to that, a stump bucket on a tractor loader might be pretty underwhelming if you dont use leverage to your advantage. The length of the bucket gives you opportunities to use it as a fulcrum in a way you generally wouldnt use a standard bucket.

For example, if youre trying to pry something up with the tip, you can wedge the bucket under something and with the middle of the bucket as a fulcrum against the ground, you can push DOWN with the loader until your front wheels come up so that in addition to your bucket curl force you also have the weight of the front of your tractor pushing down on the back of your lever, and you wont hurt anything because stump bucket forces are pretty much always centered between the loader arms and all your cylinder rods are in tension in this scenario.

My approach to using a stump bucket (i have maybe 10 hrs on a loaner) is to dump the bucket to near vertical and push it into the ground until the front end comes up. Then try to curl up until the bucket is closer to 30 degrees down. If youre in a hydrostatic machine you may have to let the tractor roll back a bit during this curl. Then as you try to drive forward to push the bucket into the ground you have to balance lowering the loader as it drives in because you want enough weight on the front tires to get 4wd traction (if 4wd) but not so much that your front tires are keeping your bucket from going any deeper and you end up just trying to drive it forward as a plow instead of a spade.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #12  
Was thinking of getting a backhoe for my Kioti NX5010 but the dealer told me I might consider a stump bucket and save some money.

Has anyone damaged their tractor using a stump bucket?
Neither a backhoe attachment nor a stump bucket are good options for any but very small stumps. Better off renting a stump grinder.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #13  
To add to that, a stump bucket on a tractor loader might be pretty underwhelming if you dont use leverage to your advantage. The length of the bucket gives you opportunities to use it as a fulcrum in a way you generally wouldnt use a standard bucket.

For example, if youre trying to pry something up with the tip, you can wedge the bucket under something and with the middle of the bucket as a fulcrum against the ground, you can push DOWN with the loader until your front wheels come up so that in addition to your bucket curl force you also have the weight of the front of your tractor pushing down on the back of your lever, and you wont hurt anything because stump bucket forces are pretty much always centered between the loader arms and all your cylinder rods are in tension in this scenario.

My approach to using a stump bucket (i have maybe 10 hrs on a loaner) is to dump the bucket to near vertical and push it into the ground until the front end comes up. Then try to curl up until the bucket is closer to 30 degrees down. If youre in a hydrostatic machine you may have to let the tractor roll back a bit during this curl. Then as you try to drive forward to push the bucket into the ground you have to balance lowering the loader as it drives in because you want enough weight on the front tires to get 4wd traction (if 4wd) but not so much that your front tires are keeping your bucket from going any deeper and you end up just trying to drive it forward as a plow instead of a spade.

That works to a point, I blew out a hydraulic hose doing it because the FEL controls were centered while driving forward.
In that position there is no relief valve in circuit, amazing to lose 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid in about a second.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL?
Neither a backhoe attachment nor a stump bucket are good options for any but very small stumps. Better off renting a stump grinder.
I have one

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #17  
Stump grinder is useless if your objective is to remove the stump and roots
Not if you use a decent size grinder. I'm not talking about the little toy grinders they rent out at Home Depot.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #18  
I use my grapple to remove Buck brush. Buck brush - stem diameter..... 1/2 inch max. Height - two feet max. I let Mother Nature remove my pine stumps. Takes about 12 to 15 years. However - I have no pine tree or stumps in my yard. They start at about 120 from the house and out buildings.

I tried burning one pine stump. What a nightmare. Little "smokes" started showing anywhere from 10 to 20 feet from the main stump. The fire had burned down some of the roots. Last time I ever tried that.

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #19  
That works to a point, I blew out a hydraulic hose doing it because the FEL controls were centered while driving forward.
In that position there is no relief valve in circuit, amazing to lose 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid in about a second.
Bummer! Im curious which circuit you blew, the bucket cyls or the boom cyls? Not that i dont recognize the danger of pressure spikes in the hydraulics (Messicks did a good youtube video showing what can happen with grapple lids) but i suspect whatever failed was on its way out as generally I dont think most tractors with loaders can pop any of their own hoses by just driving forward against something.

I can see a scenario with a stump bucket, though.. They are much longer than normal buckets so they put more leverage into the bucket cylinders if you have it stabbed into something and try to drive forward/backward. I suppose the solution would be to only try to drive it forward at lowish angles, maybe <30 degrees? Interesting issue, thanks for posting that..

/ Will a Stump Bucket damage my FEL? #20  
Bummer! Im curious which circuit you blew, the bucket cyls or the boom cyls? Not that i dont recognize the danger of pressure spikes in the hydraulics (Messicks did a good youtube video showing what can happen with grapple lids) but i suspect whatever failed was on its way out as generally I dont think most tractors with loaders can pop any of their own hoses by just driving forward against something.

I can see a scenario with a stump bucket, though.. They are much longer than normal buckets so they put more leverage into the bucket cylinders if you have it stabbed into something and try to drive forward/backward. I suppose the solution would be to only try to drive it forward at lowish angles, maybe <30 degrees? Interesting issue, thanks for posting that..

It was the left lift/boom cylinder. I did not have the loader at the lowest height with cylinder rods bottomed.

Was digging with the regular bucket angled down 1st gear weighted wheels and 1100lb on the 3 point lots of traction. I have also blown out a grapple lid hose one time trying to pull a stump over.
Those are a couple reasons I finally bought an old industrial TLB.

On most CUT's when the valves are centered and the cylinders are anywhere but against stops, this pressure spike in a line and against the piston seals can happen when push comes to shove.

ps. the hoses were originals so at least 20 years of use already.
Including digging my first stump out with the grapple early on, along with destroying a chain on my saw cutting some side roots but in the end the tractor did win the battle.
Back then a stump bucket would have been a Much better tool to have than a grapple. but I used what I had.
Them Tap roots can make things interesting.

Attachments

• stump using grapple.JPG
    stump using grapple.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited: