Loader Will a TC40 lift s round bale ?

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #1  

Strummer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Strummer1%
I Don’t want to buy a hay spear if it’s a waste of money . Will a quick connect on my loader .

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #2  
We talking a 4x4 bale of dry hay weighing 500-600 lbs or a 5x6 bale that weighs near a ton? A 16LA loader is rated for 1800lbs at the pins. Center mass of a 4 foot wide round bale will be +- 30" in front of the pins IF you have a QA bale spear.

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #3  
Whats the bale weigh ? My l3800 will lift a large square bale 7 to 8 hundred pounds... Do you have a quick attach bucket (SSQA)....

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ?
In talking about 5x6 round bales . Yes my tractor had quick connects on the loader

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #7  
I agree with RickB and showcattle. Your 40hp TC40 will handle a 5x6 round as long as it's 'close up' to the pins of your FEL... extended out beyond the bucket (remembering the weight of the bucket is added to the weight of the 'round' is just asking for trouble. AND that's not taking into consideration the condition of the round of hay.

Seeing as you've got some sort of quick connect on your FEL, I'd recommend something like I have; a 2-in-1 fork/spear attachment where you can swap between either forks or hay-spear.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 129
   / Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #8  
Lifting less than full height is always higher than max height and weight specifications. Lifting off a low trailer single stack probably OK. Same for transport close to ground.

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #9  
Lifting less than full height is always higher than max height and weight specifications. Lifting off a low trailer single stack probably OK. Same for transport close to ground.
Actual experience or are you reading a spec sheet and guessing?
Have right at it. A 4x5 silage bale approaching a ton is not an easy task for a Deere 5520 with a 541 loader. That's a lot more tractor than a TC40 and the center of mass of a 5 x6 is further out from the pins. Can it be done, maybe. Is it safe or a good idea? No. Is it a great way to get a good look at the underside of a little tractor? Yes.

/ Will a TC40 lift s round bale ? #10  
Actual experience or are you reading a spec sheet and guessing?
Have right at it. A 4x5 silage bale approaching a ton is not an easy task for a Deere 5520 with a 541 loader. That's a lot more tractor than a TC40 and the center of mass of a 5 x6 is further out from the pins. Can it be done, maybe. Is it safe or a good idea? No. Is it a great way to get a good look at the underside of a little tractor? Yes.

When we had livestock typically used heavy skidsteer that we had on the farm. Have on some occasions used a Kubota L4330 which I think is a little over the lift of the TC40. Bale weight of this size can easily vary 400 pounds due to moisture and density. It's pushing the limits of the loader and you are correct on being careful and safe.

Newer equipment has higher hay density. What are your weights running for this size bale?