Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway?

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #1  

JoesBarn

Tractor
Kubota BX18
Hello all! I've got a Kubota BX18 and I'm wondering if it will work a box blade on a gravel driveway (that is, is it enough power). My drive is pretty packed down where the tires go over it. So my tractor has weighted rear tires and 4WD available. I've read those things could help. I'm also wondering if it would be better to use a 4 foot blade rather than a 5 foot blade. Trying to make decisions because it will cost about $700 for someone to come out and smooth out my drive, while I figure that's the cost of a blade, and then I can use it on the dirt in the rest of the property. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
   / Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #2  
For your other uses, a 42 inch or 4ft would be about right for your BX. But if the only thing it will be used for is light surface grooming work on a driveway, not ever filling the box, a 5ft could work.

My 4ft will work the BX2360 hard with scarifiers down and a full load. But for grooming, I sometimes wish it was wider.

Bruce

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #3  
But for grooming, I sometimes wish it was wider.

Bruce

For a final grooming, you can trap a length of 2x10 plank in the scarifiers. Your 4ft box can now be any width you desire at a minimal cost.

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #4  
I highly recommend 4' on a BX for max scarifier power. Anything bigger you'll be spinning your wheels.

Trust me, even 4' will put a big load on your machine if it's packed.

Like the other posts said, you can get creative in "trapping" wood under the scarifiers to do finish prep. When you are done with it, either keep it, or throw the board out.

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #5  
I would say go with the 4 foot box blade. With the appropriate top link adjustment I think u would be quite satisfied with the ability to groom your driveway. U won’t be able to utilize the full depth of the scarifiers due to the mass of your tractor (or lack there of) but I still think it would be worth your money to get the 4 footer.

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #6  
^^

Yes, also this will get you very acquainted to your top link and your positioning for depth control.

With patience, you'll be a grading master with a box blade. Good place to practice is your first job with it. :)

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #7  
^^

Yes, also this will get you very acquainted to your top link and your positioning for depth control.

With patience, you'll be a grading master with a box blade. Good place to practice is your first job with it. :)

I practiced out of sight of the wife.;). Of all my (few) attachments she sees the BB as truly useful.

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway?
Thanks all! This is really helpful. On to question #2, about the actual BB brand. I'll post again.

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #9  
For a box blade brand, I highly recommend TSC's 4' box blade.

It's what I have have, and I use it quite a bit every year, and there is minimal paint missing.

The powder coating job they do is insanely good. Better than even my bucket!

/ Will BX18 work a box blade on a gravel driveway? #10  
i had a bx1800 for many years before i bought the bx2380. i will suggest you get some weight on the front of your tractor also. that helped me a great deal when i was boxblading