Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage?

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage?
Great idea. I started thinkin about the overrun clutch and figured it wouldn't work. Since the clutch is meant to let the attachment run in its normal direction, when the rake drives it in reverse, it would be going the wrong way to free spin. But retrofitting with the quick connect would allow me to remove the PTO shaft completely. If I had a nice seeder this topic would not have come up because they usually have a packer. But now I should be able to broadcast, rake it in, then disconnect the PTO and pack it down and smooth it out. SWEET!

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #12  
The over run clutch is a good idea. I will finish the job I am on now and try that setup. I have an over run clutch on my 8n I could pull and test. I will not, however, keep doing it as I did the other day thanks to the experts on this forum. Thanks a bunch for your help. K

The ORC is a good idea, but I doubt the one on your 8n would work on a modern tractor. The 8n had a 1-1/8" 6-spline shaft. Modern stuff is 1-3/8 6-spline.

So the orc on your 8n is most likely the 1-1/8 on the inside with teh 1-3/8 on the outside. You will need one that is 1-3/8 on both.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #13  
The ORC is a good idea, but I doubt the one on your 8n would work on a modern tractor. The 8n had a 1-1/8" 6-spline shaft. Modern stuff is 1-3/8 6-spline.

So the orc on your 8n is most likely the 1-1/8 on the inside with teh 1-3/8 on the outside. You will need one that is 1-3/8 on both.

ORC would work, in his case, only if he drove in reverse.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #14  
Why not disconnect the PTO driveshaft (use a bungee cord to support it)?

You know. . . we all might be making this more difficult than it has to be. If the culti-packer's PTO has a working shield, hanging it using a bungee or something similar is probably a simple solution that is sufficient. Most PTO covers have a chain attached to keep them from rotating and driving slowly forward with the tractor is not going to do anything but make the shaft rotate within the safety shield. I think I'd start out with the simple solution first to see how it works before spending money on modifications. If it does work with the bungee, you'll have $30 or $40 bucks saved so you can afford to take your wife to dinner. That way everybody's a winner.:thumbsup:

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #15  
ORC would work, in his case, only if he drove in reverse.

I guess uoo are right. The ORC only over runs going foward. IF he is causing the PTO to spin backwards, it wont work. I was thinking it was still spinning forward, just being driven by the implement insead of the tractor:confused2:

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #16  
Glenmac makes a great video for use of the Harley Rake . I dont usally turn off the pto while using the rake . It is all in the setup according to them. If you turn the drum in reverse i could see some damage to the pto brake also. When i set the depth on the rake setting a seed bed it lightly makes dimples in the ground for seed to lay till it rains.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #17