will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper?

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
As alot of you know i have the weight of my cab ,loaded tires and ag tires so i should get good traction.The dealer where im looking at a used [once ]sundown box blade[5ft] said my tractor wouldnt have a problem.Its a good looking unit,with dbl blade in back.I know most say stay with a 4fter.ANYONE ON HERE HAVE A SUNDOWN? Its priced around 700 used.Should i put a little more cash in and just by a new 4 ft?5 would be great doing roads in my atv club,if i can handle it.
Im thinking someday i might also buy another tractor,and that 4 fter might be too small then?
also A LITTLE NERVOUS about buying a not known brand,might be harder for parts in years to come [teeth etc]
Would i want one with a hinged back?
ALAN

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #2  
Go with a 4 footer. Once it loads up with dirt, it gets monstrously heavy. You want it wide enough to cover your wheel tracks, and not much more.

I have a 4 footer on my larger B2920, and it's the perfect size. I would not want a 5 footer.

By the way, that price sounds way too high. I got my new 4' Howse box blade for about $425 new. The 5' was only $475. The Howse has heavy gauge steel with full weld construction (ie, no bolts) and forward/reverse cutters on the back. What makes that sundown blade cost $700??

242874d1324607574-new-b2920-photo-1.jpg

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #3  
I would not recommend a 5' box blade on a BX. Too light tractor, too much blade. And way too much money $700?? Look for a King Kutter, Howse etc they're well made and less expensive and will get the job done.
KK has a 4' model designed specially for the BX series of tractor, that shouldtell you something.
I have a 5' KK I pull with my CK20 HST KIOTI. My Kioti is loaded and total is more than twice your weight, with much bigger tires. In soft ground I can fill box to overflowing before I spin the wheels, half full is just right. So I know the BX isn't going to pull a 5' box.

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #4  
I have a Rankin 4' box blade for my BX23. When it gets loaded up, it can be real heavy. There are times that I have to engage the diff-lock just to keep it moving. I maintain my hilly driveway with it and parts are quite steep (23% grade). Doing light work might be OK with a 5" box blade, but I think you may want to stick with the smaller size.

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #5  
Boxblades are capable of loading up quickly and stalled even large HP tractors. I have a 6 foot on my 70HP tractor and can cause it to stop in its tracks if I hang the scarifiers on roots etc. MY 45HP with loaded tireshas all it wants with a full load of dirt and will be slipping all 4 wheels. I dont think you would be very efficient witha 5 footer and $700 is way too much for a SCUT box blade. Go with the suggestions of a Howse which is what I have and it stands up to the 70 hp without damage to anything other than a broken scarifier(s) from hanging a rock occassionally, well maybe more than occassionally.

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #6  
I think a 4 foot blade is plenty on the BX. I have a BX2360 with a 4 foot United from Everything Attachments. It was less than $500 delivered, and is a very good unit for the money.

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #7  
Concur with the majority. 4 ft will work her when loaded.

Deano

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper?
Thanks all picked up a 4 ft woods gbc48 today,will post pic soon as i get it KUBOTA ORANGE:D It was scratched a bit and was rusted on the scratches ,but still new on the pallet-last years supply .Got it for just under 500
Ikind of feel bad,cause i didnt get it from my neighbor,who is roadsalesman for the first dealer,this years moder was 150 more.It was the last hold over and i didnt want to pass on it.Guess ill only be able to use it at night:ashamed:Ipriced out a snowblower from him once ,but found one 1000 cheaper ,so now im relly feeling rotten.Mabey ill order a woods blade from him that will fit my landscape rake frame
ALAN

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #9  
Thanks all picked up a 4 ft woods gbc48 today,will post pic soon as i get it KUBOTA ORANGE:D It was scratched a bit and was rusted on the scratches ,but still new on the pallet-last years supply .Got it for just under 500
Ikind of feel bad,cause i didnt get it from my neighbor,who is roadsalesman for the first dealer,this years moder was 150 more.It was the last hold over and i didnt want to pass on it.Guess ill only be able to use it at night:ashamed:Ipriced out a snowblower from him once ,but found one 1000 cheaper ,so now im relly feeling rotten.Mabey ill order a woods blade from him that will fit my landscape rake frame
ALAN

Maybe you should move ?:laughing:

/ will my bx23 haul a 5ft box scraper? #10  
Hey, economics is just that. You got the best product for the best price you were comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that!:)