Will this hold 20yds of loam?

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I need to buy some loam. This guy says he delivers 20yds per trip. Will this truck hold that? I always thought 18yds was max for a tri axle.
Thanks
1465606685175.jpg

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #2  
Weight limitations may be smaller than volume limitations. (It might hold more than it can legally carry)

Or the opposite, depending on the weight of the material.

Not very helpful, am I? :)

Bruce

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #3  
Looks to me like that trailer will hold 20yards of bark from my experience having deliveries and eyeballing it volume wise.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #4  
As Bruce said weight is typically controlling factor
I have had 20cy of mulch deliveries, loam will have similar weight

Last edited:
   / Will this hold 20yds of loam? #5  
The 18 yards is probably even with the top boards, and 21 if a good hump in middle with small holes in back corner. If you try, you can really stack a lot of fill on a dump truck.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam?
Thanks y'all. I don't think this guy will care about weight.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #7  
image.jpeg

My dump truck is just a tandem but the bed size looks pretty close to the same. My truck if full flush with the top of the bed holds 14 yards. My bed it 15' long and holds roughly 4 yards per foot of depth in the bed. You might get twenty with sideboards and a hump.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #8  
View attachment 471619

My dump truck is just a tandem but the bed size looks pretty close to the same. My truck if full flush with the top of the bed holds 14 yards. My bed it 15' long and holds roughly 4 yards per foot of depth in the bed. You might get twenty with sideboards and a hump.
Hard to tell especially dealing with lens perspective but to me it looks like the OP's truck bed is longer and is sized to carry less dense loads.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #9  
Your answere will be situation dependant. Box struck or heaped. Easily measured. Allowable truck weight? Moisture content of material.

/ Will this hold 20yds of loam? #10  
Do you have a tape measure? You will need 540 sq ft of area for 20 yards. (27x20=540) Similar trucks I found online show a weight capacity of 44k lbs. a yard of topsoil weighs approx 2500lbs. 20 yards puts you at 50k.