Winch wiring

/ Winch wiring #11  
extra battery, just used for winch duty.... kept in the shop on a trickle charger.... or your trolling motor battery.... or your RV battery.... or ......

same idea as a jump box, just larger capacity.

/ Winch wiring #12  
extra battery, just used for winch duty.... kept in the shop on a trickle charger.... or your trolling motor battery.... or your RV battery.... or ......

same idea as a jump box, just larger capacity.

That is what I do. I have a few old car battiers I use.

/ Winch wiring #13  
If you want to do a run from your main battery, running ground thru the frame works fine.

Used a Anderson powerpole 175 amp connector between truck and trailer.

/ Winch wiring #14  
Your choice of connections would depend a bit on how much you wish to use the winch with the trailer.

I added a receiver to the front of my Blazer.

FrontReceiver.JPG

Made with a piece of channel iron, and a receiver tube.

It is more securely connected to my winch than my winch is connected to my bumper or frame.

Anyway, so all I do is insert a drop hitch.
Pull up to the trailer and hook on.

The advantage of the hitch is that I now have control of the trailer.

And I have a great multi-purpose winch.

I haven't used it with a tilt trailer though.

/ Winch wiring #15  
i put a bat on the trailer that is charged when hooke dup to the trailer plug. works great for a electric winch.. wireing is easy.. 90% of it is already there.. :)

/ Winch wiring #16  
I hooked mine up like Sound Guy. The battery operates a 12,000 winch & the hydraulic pump for the trailer tilt. I have the winch mounted on a 1/4" plate welded to a section of 2" x 1/4" wall square tubing which slides into a standard receiver hitch & have wired it with short lengths of #2 copper wire with welding lead connectors to make placing the winch into operation a snap. The battery on the trailer has matching cables attached. (The positive (+) is a female & the negative (-) is a male to help prevent it from being connected backwards. I also have a heavy set of battery cables which have a pair of the welding connectors on one end to allow me to use the winch anywhere I have a battery available.
Some of the ways I use my winch: Skid logs with tractor, load vehicle on trailer, mounts on boom on loader & can pull up well pumps (The boom reaches 29' in the air), vehicle recovery, stretching fence, ...

/ Winch wiring #17  
My warn winch (12000) has always worn the battery jumper box down before getting the load on the trailer. I use a 1000amp top post autozone battery with the harbor freight solar battery charger always hooked up. This is sometimes not enough. Out comes the 24 ft jumper cables to the two batteries under the diesels hood. This is exactly why commercial rigs run PTO or Hyd. winches.

/ Winch wiring #18  
2458n - That is Weird! On a full charge, my 1000 CCA battery (has dual terminals) when not hooked up to a charging source will run the hydraulic pump to tilt my trailer, run the 12,000 lb Badland winch from Harbor Freight to load a full sized van, lower the trailer to transport position, Re-tilt & lower at delivery point, run the winch for a controlled unload (though most of the time I just let the vehicle roll), & still have battery to spare. Have you done a load test on your battery to check for a bad cell?

/ Winch wiring #19  
2458n - That is Weird! On a full charge, my 1000 CCA battery (has dual terminals) when not hooked up to a charging source will run the hydraulic pump to tilt my trailer, run the 12,000 lb Badland winch from Harbor Freight to load a full sized van, lower the trailer to transport position, Re-tilt & lower at delivery point, run the winch for a controlled unload (though most of the time I just let the vehicle roll), & still have battery to spare. Have you done a load test on your battery to check for a bad cell?

Same here. My winch is only 4500# but I have loaded 3 cars in a 2 hour period using my jump box with no sign of slowing down.

Chris