Windmills for Pond Aeration

/ Windmills for Pond Aeration
We have decided to go with the guys at Inspired By Nature (http://www.ibnature.com/). Their refusal to sell me a windmill system was certainly an attention getter!!

The issue wasn't the windmills, but _my_ pond. It's "L" shaped, about an acre in total surface area and over 15 years old. IBN's refusal was based on their experience that the best match for windmill aeration is round, 1/2 acre, new ponds. Or at least something closer to that than my pond happens to be. They were very concerned that under-aeration would bring up more toxic gases from the bottom than it would able to overcome with the amount of oxygen brought down from the top.

Looks like we will go with 4 diffusers and a huge pump on a timer. The key is, they are coming down next week for an on-site evaluation and doing nutrient testing of the pond and spring water, before finalizing a setup. Definately consistent with the philosophy on their web site -- and what attracted me to them in the first place.

This is getting to be more like a big aquarium project (water analysis, aerobic microbes to consume muck, etc) -- only we can swim in it!

We bought this place last winter because of the pond (wraps around the house!) - I'm glad the weather is getting to where we can start "playing" with it!

Monte
MonteKub.gif

/ Windmills for Pond Aeration #12  
Monte,

It sounds like you have picked a winner there! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Based on my experience with pond aeration systems, you should pay less than $2000 for materials, with the largest part of that due to the pump, followed by the diffusers. I think you will be very happy with the setup you have chosen, as it is cheaper to pump air than water. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif That is the system we are going with here in TX at a state park lake.

Having the capability to aerate opens up a lot of additional avenues for fish management. If you want to catch and eat fish, you might consider a feeder on a timer. This will result in faster growth (read: larger) catfish and panfish. If you want some more information, contact your local fisheries biologist, or I can answer most of your questions. Also see my comments under a previous thread titled "new pond", I believe. You ought to have a lot of fun with your pond.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Windmills for Pond Aeration #13  
I too was thinking of adding a windmill to my ponds, but what I would like to do is pump the water up a slope- about 40ft high and maybe 500+ feet from the pond. I could then have a stream and water fall that runs down to the pond. Electric pumps would cost too much to run and the area I would use is too far from the electic box.
Anyone done anything similar?

TC33D

/ Windmills for Pond Aeration #14  
Are you talking about 40 foot of head (vertical lift) for the water? If so that's going to take a fair amount of energy to do any kind of volume ie BIG windmill or lots of wind. Upside is you get the sound and looks of running water WHILE aerating it at the same time. Be awful nice if you could do it. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Windmills for Pond Aeration #15  
Last edited: