Windows 10

/ Windows 10 #71  
But since I'm not planning anything illegal, please explain to me what harm I even might, or possibly could, experience .....

Amazing......

/ Windows 10 #72  
Harm? How about identity theft after your info is sold or hacked.

Identity Theft | Consumer Information

Windows 10 comes with "Defender" which is a half decent protection program. Other protection programs are on the market to protect a system also. XP, Vista, Windows 7 Windows 8 and 8.1 all could be and were compromised. So in my opinion the only sure way not to have some one "Hack" your system is to lock the computer in the closet and never turn it on.

If anyone is storing sensitive information on a computer they sell encrypting programs that is pretty difficult to get into. Here is a listing of the top ten, The Best Encryption Software of 2015 | Top Ten Reviews. There are also freeware programs that work great.

/ Windows 10 #73  
That's enough info for me never to upgrade? How would you know it's really off, or that something else isn't recording and sending info? Any operating system for that matter. I trust an iPhone more that a PC , laptop running Windows.

Apple is under fire for tracking iPhone user. They also can reportedly turn the camera on or off and record where you are at and what you are doing.

/ Windows 10 #74  
I realize a lot of people are concerned about their "privacy". But since I'm not planning anything illegal, please explain to me what harm I even might, or possibly could, experience by using Windows 10 and all its features.

I am with you Bird not planning on doing anything illegal. I don't store sensitive materials where it can be accessed. USB drives can hold a lot of material and fit into ones shirt pocket. I don't use debit cards on line and Windows hasn't basically changed that much since Windows 95, so in my opinion regardless of which version of Windows one uses there is some vulnerability to attack.

I do sit behind two firewalls and run one of the latest malware and virus detection programs.

/ Windows 10 #75  
I am with you Bird not planning on doing anything illegal. I don't store sensitive materials where it can be accessed. USB drives can hold a lot of material and fit into ones shirt pocket. I don't use debit cards on line and Windows hasn't basically changed that much since Windows 95, so in my opinion regardless of which version of Windows one uses there is some vulnerability to attack.

I do sit behind two firewalls and run one of the latest malware and virus detection programs.

You are describing defense against viruses, malware, phishing etc. What has rekees4300 upset is not so much attacks on your computer but rather that Microsoft itself has your data and preferences etc as a routine. I don't love the idea that any corporation has as much data about us as they do but I'm interested in living in the 21st century too. I still haven't heard anything to suggest that Windows 10 takes privacy concerns to a new level. Microsoft is just doing what Google, Yelp, Amazon and just about any e-retailer you transact business with has been doing for years. IMO it is Google, not Microsoft that is the one to watch out for.

/ Windows 10 #76  
That's enough info for me never to upgrade? How would you know it's really off, or that something else isn't recording and sending info? Any operating system for that matter. I trust an iPhone more that a PC , laptop running Windows.

There was no information in the post you quoted. Scare tactics and misinformation, yes. Information, no.

Upgrade to Windows10 or not, but don't base your decision on anything in the post you quoted.

Last edited:
   / Windows 10 #78  
You are describing defense against viruses, malware, phishing etc. What has rekees4300 upset is not so much attacks on your computer but rather that Microsoft itself has your data and preferences etc as a routine. I don't love the idea that any corporation has as much data about us as they do but I'm interested in living in the 21st century too. I still haven't heard anything to suggest that Windows 10 takes privacy concerns to a new level. Microsoft is just doing what Google, Yelp, Amazon and just about any e-retailer you transact business with has been doing for years. IMO it is Google, not Microsoft that is the one to watch out for.

True. Google has been capturing web surfing information for years and selling it.

/ Windows 10 #79  
To repeat - Are you aware of any specific scam involving Microsoft? I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

"Scam" would infer some illegal activity so the answer is no.

What has rekees4300 upset is not so much attacks on your computer but rather that Microsoft itself has your data and preferences etc as a routine.

Bingo :thumbsup: Micro$oft realizes that it can make more money selling users' info than it can selling Windows 10. That's why they are giving Windows 10 away for "free" and aggressively pushing it on current Windows 7 & 8.1 users. More users = more info = more revenue.

/ Windows 10 #80  
"Scam" would infer some illegal activity so the answer is no. Bingo :thumbsup: Micro$oft realizes that it can make more money selling users' info than it can selling Windows 10. That's why they are giving Windows 10 away for "free" and aggressively pushing it on current Windows 7 & 8.1 users. More users = more info = more revenue.
So you hate Microsoft because they are copying Google???