Windows Defender AV

/ Windows Defender AV #1  

Toyboy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230D
My McAfee subscription is running out in 8 days, and I've been thinking of just using Defender as my anti virus/fire wall program.
I've really not heard much about this AV and was wondering if any of you folks use/have used it and your opinion of it.

/ Windows Defender AV #4  
Your Internet service provider might have a "free" security package for you to use so you might want to check with them.

Later,
Dan

/ Windows Defender AV #6  
I use the Intego NetBarrier and VirusBarrier but I use Macintoshes.

/ Windows Defender AV #7  
   / Windows Defender AV #8  
I use defender on my PC, but for a true testament... it's been the only defense on my 18 year old son's computer for a couple years. If something can defend the surfing of a 18 year old boy, it has my vote.

/ Windows Defender AV #9  
Microsoft Security Essentials built into Windows 7, and allowed to update itself, is all I use. And seem to need.

Earlier OS's were vulnerable but this alone seems to be sufficient now. Oh and Adblock Plus on this home PC, UBlock Origin on the ranch laptop. They seem identical in effect.

I get a 'Don't Open That!' or 'Don't Click That Link! warning once in a while, less than one per year, and that's as close as I've come to problems.

The only incident I recall that I had to really dig into like I did back in the days when I did PC support, turned out to be a 'feature' in TBN: 'Harbor Freight' in a post caused a strange reaction. It turned out that TBN earned cash from HF every time HF was mentioned, and my ISP had a filter that detected these redirects and popped up an ominous red Warning!!! screen for every mention. After tracing the HTML it turned to to be 'a feature, not a bug'. My ISP soon quit throwing up that warning, I think after the link-bonus company got themselves out of some virus database. Aside from that incident I don't recall anything since I upgraded from XP several years ago.

Summary: Avoid McAfee and Norton, use one of the other free AV's if you think you need it, don't worry.

Oh - and obvious: avoid the default add-ons when you install or update software - the 'Ask' search engine etc.

/ Windows Defender AV #10  
My McAfee subscription is running out in 8 days, and I've been thinking of just using Defender as my anti virus/fire wall program.
I've really not heard much about this AV and was wondering if any of you folks use/have used it and your opinion of it.
This is my area of expertise. Windows Defender is absolutely all you need. It's far better than McAfee or any of the other alternatives. You should never leave McAfee installed on any computer.