Windshield washer fluid to load tires?

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #1  

rthrbhntg

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
In the process of deciding on my first tractor. One of the Kubota dealers I have been talking to said they load the tires with windshield washer fluid. The other dealer says beet juice. Any reason one vs the other?

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #2  
Hiya

Well windshield washer fluid is just water with a touch of ammonia and maybe a surfactant and detergent. It's density will be the same, give or take, to plain water. Hence no advantage to weight. I can't think of any reason why the washer fluid would be good or bad for the tyres. Waste of money compared to plain water. As to beet juice, have no idea.

Calcium chloride solution is often used to fill tyres as its density is considerably higher than plain water as you can get quite a lot of CaCl2 to dissolve in the water, increasing the density.

Mike

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #4  
In the process of deciding on my first tractor. One of the Kubota dealers I have been talking to said they load the tires with windshield washer fluid. The other dealer says beet juice. Any reason one vs the other?
If you are going to load your tires(In NY state) don't use straight water,it will freeze.Windshield washer fluid will weigh about the same as water 8.5lbs per gallon,Rim Guard is 30% heavier,at least according to their web-site.The dealer is referring to Rim Guard as beet juice,which it is.
Expensive,ya a little but I feel it is worth it.Maybe have the dealer throw is as a perk for purchase.

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #5  
Hiya

Well windshield washer fluid is just water with a touch of ammonia and maybe a surfactant and detergent. It's density will be the same, give or take, to plain water. Hence no advantage to weight. I can't think of any reason why the washer fluid would be good or bad for the tyres. Waste of money compared to plain water. As to beet juice, have no idea.

Calcium chloride solution is often used to fill tyres as its density is considerably higher than plain water as you can get quite a lot of CaCl2 to dissolve in the water, increasing the density.

Mike

Here, in the northern US and Canada, windshield washer fluid has a -25F rating achieved through the addition of methanal or similar, to prevent freezing. RV anti-freeze is slightly more costly, but often has a lower temperature rating. RV anti-freeze is also non toxic.

Beet juice, either generic or brand name is somewhat costly. It is also non-toxic, as a rule, and also has is a pretty good anti-freeze.

IIRC, beet juice has a bit more weight per gallon.

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #6  
Hi bp fick

Ah .... now I understand why they use washer fluid. Its not really washer fluid then but pricy water and methanol. Surely water and some metho added would be cheaper than washer fluid.
Anyhow now I understand.

Mike

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #7  
We have used WWF for years. Its cheap. I bought a 55 gallon drum of -20 WWF 3 years ago for $40.00 at the local oil distributor.

Chris

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #8  
Ive always just put 2 gallons antifreeze per tire then fill with water. No problems with freezing. Cheap 2.

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #9  
Our dealers here use WWF, I don't know of anyone who uses Rimguard, if it had been an option, I may have considered it. My concern was finding a farm tire service company that could replace it if I got a flat.

/ Windshield washer fluid to load tires? #10  
Hiya

Mike

Windshield washer fluid is usually some mix of methanol.... at least in the US it is. There's some environmental issues if you puncture a tire.

You certainly don't want to put plain water in your tires...

Rim Guard (Beet Juice) is good stuff but pricey. It's environmentally safe and weighs more than methanol.