Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #21  
I like the drag idea behind the discs thanks for the update. :thumbsup: Hard for me to spend what a new hiller costs so have been looking for tool bars and sweeps and discs on craigs list to build one similar to yours. Now you did it caused it to snow! :laughing:

I have planted in the bottoms of furrows for a long time makes it fairly difficult to cultivate but plenty of water gets to the plants..

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #22  
Oh man you have all the toys! :thumbsup:

Snow? What's your elevation? I didn't realize it snows that far south. We (sea level, San Francisco region) might see a little snow like that every 10 years.

That's a beautiful place you have there.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics
Home town of Gilmer elevation is listed at 367'. I would guess we get an average of 1 snowfall a year. Just a guess. I know it doesn't snow every year but sometimess twice. The snow is off the ground now and it rained last night.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #24  
Were here in SC and we get snow about once a year at my place, the south gets snow but not as much recently, 3 years ago we had snow on the ground in the North shades for 7 days!! Im about 700ft or so?

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #25  
This thread has got me interested in maybe trying to grow something this winter...but I'm afraid it will be too cold for the seeds to germinate...I'm in the NE corner of GA just a few miles south of NC and few more west of SC...elev. 2000'...any suggestions?

We have had several nights of freezing temperature, snow, and rains since I planted my seeds. Nothing has came up yet. :mad:

My reading indicates turnip seed germinates between 45 and 85 degees. I am going down directly and check my ground temperature. :cool:

Suppose to gerninate in 4 to seven days.

Back from getting ground temperature. Comes in at 48 degrees. I suppose that can vary from day to day. I may continue to watch it a few days. A little warmer weather predicted next few days.

Last edited:
   / Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #27  
I bet u germinate in 7-10. I put purple tops in a tiny turn around in my woods. I put them in in October or first of nov. I guess due to only a few direct hours of light a day they did not much of anything even into mid December. they were at most a few inches of green. No big deal though it was an experiment there. I knew ligt would be a problem.

Well, I know everyone is wanting to know if i am eating turnip greens. Well, I'm not. I planted on 12-21, been about 21 days. I am getting a good stand of radish. The turnips, spinich, and lettuce are not showing. Forcast is for pretty cool weather this next week. I may wait till the following week and give it another go, that is is they don't come up before then. :D

Might note this is last years seed but I would think they would be ok, and comments here. :confused3:

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #29  
Winston you gardening already is hard for me to fathom we are 3 months away at the earliest. Its still hovering in the teens and twenty's at nite here real glad you can and here's hoping you are eating fresh greens soon but it is a ways off for me! :D

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #30  
The last photo at the bottom of the Overland Scraper brochure shows the linkage where the apron appears to be controlled by cable via the 3PT. I would suppose that the apron is allowed to close when the 3PT is raised and then the apron is raised when the pan is dropped down to the loading position by the 3PT. It just makes we wonder if we've gone overboard in some cases using cylinders to do what can be done cost effectively with mechanical means.