Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #71  
Hey Winston,Lets see some garden pictures for this year.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics
Hey Winston,Lets see some garden pictures for this year.

I have cut back and moved my garden to a new location a few miles away. Pretty much a sand bed. Next time over there I'll snap a few. Only got onions, potatoes, English peas up last trip over. May have corn, squash, and cucumbers up by now. The rest (how far 5 lbs of purple hulls will go) probably won't get planted for another week or so. Southern peas don't like cold ground.

I stand a good chance the deer will clean me out on the pea crop, Pretty isolated area and makes for good grazing. Coons will probably help harvest the corn if it makes.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #73  
I stand a good chance the deer will clean me out on the pea crop, Pretty isolated area and makes for good grazing. Coons will probably help harvest the corn if it makes.

Around here, the coons won't only help harvest the corn, they'll harvest it all! I quit trying to raise sweet corn three years ago, it's too cheap at the market to go through all the frustration of buying and planting seed, tending it then walking down there one morning to see all the stalks broken down and the corn down. I tried electric fences, motion detectors, radios, the whole gamut. It's a lot easier on my blood pressure to just use the ground to plant something that the coons won't eat.

The best luck I ever had keeping coons out was one year a large stray dog starting handing around the farm. I felt sorry for him and started feeding him, then as the corn grew, I put a long cable between two posts running down that side of the garden and chained him to the cable, so he could run up and down the length of the garden. He did a great job of keeping the coons out, but I just hate chaining a dog up, it don't seem right to me, so I decided that I'd not do that anymore. About three weeks after I unhooked him, he got ran over by a dump truck.

Now I wish I'd kept him chained, he probably would rather that himself.

Here is a few pictures. Sure nothing to brag about. English peas, potatoes, onions doing good. Corn is pitiful. Probably planted to early. Plowed ground with nothing was planted in purple hull peas yesterday. This is all planted under a high line right of way. Very sandy soil.

Attachments

• 100_6817.jpg
    100_6817.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • 100_6818.jpg
    100_6818.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • 100_6819.jpg
    100_6819.jpg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 108
   / Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #75  
Here is a few pictures. Sure nothing to brag about. English peas, potatoes, onions doing good. Corn is pitiful. Probably planted to early. Plowed ground with nothing was planted in purple hull peas yesterday. This is all planted under a high line right of way. Very sandy soil.

Lookin good Winston!

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #76  
Winston those look like huge gardens. Are you just feeding yourself, or can we find you at the local farmer's market?

Give away what we don't use which is quite a bit. We normally can and freeze quite a few beans, peas and corn. Didn't even plant green beans this year. I expect the garden location this year will tend to give most to the deer and coons.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #78  
Winston, I'm looking forward to the annual update of this thread. Hopefully you get good yields.

We have had two snows in the last two weeks. Highly unusual for us this time of year. had English peas and turnip greens breaking the ground before the first snow. Went over to check them after the snow had melted and they were still green. Also have onions set out. My garden is about 8 miles through the country from me. When I go over to set out potatoes this next week I will snap a picture or two.

Attachments

• 100_7525.jpg
    100_7525.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 92
   / Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #80  
We have had two snows in the last two weeks. Highly unusual for us this time of year. had English peas and turnip greens breaking the ground before the first snow. Went over to check them after the snow had melted and they were still green. Also have onions set out. My garden is about 8 miles through the country from me. When I go over to set out potatoes this next week I will snap a picture or two.

As you're aware too, I've been in the snow removal mode last time and this this week.

Glad to hear the peas and turnips are surviving. Actually a hardy lettuce variant would do well too in the cold and snow.

At least for middle TN, temps are to rebound to the mid-50s all next week. Something we were at for much of January.