Chains Winter Chains (TC40DA)

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #11  
I can fit ladder-style chains with V-bars on my TC33D, but if recall the TC has a bit tighter clearance. I know my dealer sells some special chains for tight clearance applications. The links are significantly smaller than the standard ladder chains. The wire forming the links has a square cross section, so you get some good "edge" for gripping ice. I've heard they make a huge difference on ice, but are not as effective in deep snow or mud as some of the other chain designs. If this sounds like something interesting, let me know and I'll find out the brand and pricing from my dealer here in Vermont.

John Mc

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA)
JJT: yeah I definitely know that the chains would be a better way to go for my place.

John Mc: That would be great. I'm away from home right now but next week I'll start calling around for prices etc. Any input or direction is appreciated. Thanks

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #13  
I'll stop by the dealer to check on those chains later this week, and let you know what I find out. In the mean time, if you get tired of waiting for me, they are Champlain Valley Equipment in Middlebury, Vermont. Phone: 802-388-4967. Ask for Derek. He's the guy who showed me a piece of the chain a couple of years ago.

John Mc

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA)
Thanks John. I'll give them a call on or about Monday the 19th. I'll post what I've found out.

Thanks for the help.

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks John. I'll give them a call on or about Monday the 19th. I'll post what I've found out. )</font>

I stopped by today when I was in the neighborhood. These chains are not a stock NH part. A lot of folks up this way need chains in the winter, and this is what our dealer was able to find for use where clearance is limited. The chains are imported from Norway. The links are formed from wire with a square cross section (as opposed to the round wire used in most chains). The edge on the squares do give you some extra grip which helps make up for the fact that the chain is significantly smaller. There are also some extra "cleats" (not V-bars) welded on every few links. The chains are heat-treated to harden them for longer life.

I spoke with Ann at Champlain Valley Equipment. They have several sets in stock for a TC 40DA with R4 tires. She looked up the part number for me: 10123534. I would check your tire size and verify that this is the correct part number for your tires. These are not cheap: $500 a pair.

Ann would be the one to talk to to order them. I believe that one of their salesman, Derek, has these chains for his TC 40D. He might be the one to talk to if you want to know about how they are working out in practice. Ann was not sure about shipping to Canada. She was willing, but was not sure what paperwork she'd have to do to ship them. If that turns out to be a hang-up, let me know. If it's any easier for a private citizen to ship them, I might be able to do that if they can't (assuming I don't run into major obstacles with customs).

Send me a privat message if you need help.

John Mc

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #16  
Newbie question: Do chains help in the mud? If not, what do you recommend for use in muddy conditions? The ground in my area is notorious for trapping vehicles during the winter rainy season, but I want to use the tractor to keep the grass/weeds from growing too tall.

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #17  
Chains won't make a bit of difference in mud.

Best solution for mud is to dig drainage so you don't get any.

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #18  
<font color="blue"> Do chains help in the mud? </font>
Lets put it this way. I have been completely stuck up to the axles grossing 65K - 68K to where the truck wouldn't move an inch. Slip the chains on and latch the best that I could and any way that I could, the truck came out. Did this almost exactly the same way twice. Over the years, I have seen several of the log skidder in this area with chains on. They would have so much mud on them that you couldn't tell what color they were, but they weren't stuck.

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #19  
OK... I take it back... chains help in the mud... who knew? not me....

/ Winter Chains (TC40DA) #20  
One type of chain that is particularly good in mud is "double ring" chains. Usually, they look like ladder-style chains from a distance, but when you get closer, you can see that each link is actually made up of two rings side by side. They tend to self-clean the mud out a lot better than the standard ladder chains. I believe you can get these in other styles besides ladder chains.

John Mc