Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Winter Conversion Help

/ Winter Conversion Help #1  

piperc744

Tractor
FarmPro 2425
Hello guys, Im Chris Piper with Viper Ground Tech.

I recently started a field mowing/ landscaping business out here in the eastern plains of colorado. I have just started to get good with my equipment and learn the industry and now it seems my season is running out.... Its cold here this week and I need to start getting ready for winter work, problem is, ive never done any real winter work ( Im from Florida lol)...

I figured you guys would be the best place to start looking for advice. So ill start by simply listing my equipment.

- I have a 25 HP Farm Pro Tractor with no cab, it has a FEL, Box Scraper, and Bush Hog attachments.
- I have a husqvarna lawn tractor with just standard cutting deck on it.
- I have a walk behind rototiller
- 2 weedeaters, and handheld blower.
- There is a nice looking walk behind snow blower in the basement I gotta get a better look at, but it looks fairly new.
- I drive a 97 F350 2wd 4D CC.

I think thats about all I have to work with, oh yea and a snow shovel... lol

but neway, what do u guys think, what can I do with this equipment, what do i need to buy, and any advice is so very welcome guys...

ps. do i even have to do snow, what else can i do in winter with this equipment???

thanks
chris

/ Winter Conversion Help #2  
If you get into snow moving/removal, that can be done a variety of ways; it all depends on how much you have to do and how much (and what type) of snow you get....

First, I'd assume that most snow you get in CO is the "dry" type, as opposed to the occasional wet stuff we get here.

If your jobs are small, the walk-behind blower might be fine; they're just a bit slow for larger areas.

A plow on a truck is very fast, maybe the fastest, but you have to have a lot of room to get it well out of the way or the vehicular area begins to shrink over the winter with successive snowfalls. 4WD with good snow tires and/or chains is a must.

Many folks with tractors find the FEL on front, with either a rear-mount blower or perhaps just a back blade (much less expensive) work well. Again, it depends on how much you have to do, and how "flexible" (young) you are, for operating in reverse. Type of ground also should be considered- paved? gravel?

In my case, I got a front-mount blower for my tractor. It will throw the snow quite a distance --35-55 feet, depending on wetness-- and I can go forward. It leaves essentially no piles on the edges to deal with later- one pass and you're done. Disadvantages are: a) it's probably the most expensive route, b) I also have no cab, and so have to dress for it, c) a blower can be less than effective if it's really windy, d) slower than a plowtruck (but much faster than a walk-behind blower). You also have to be careful to hold it up off the ground with wheels or shoes if you're going over gravel- it'll shoot stones pretty well, too!

Hope this helps get you thinking.:)

Attachments

• 2:23:09-1.JPG
    2:23:09-1.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 148
   / Winter Conversion Help
Thanks irvingj,

I find this information to be very helpful, and it has helped to get me thinking.

My truck is pretty heavy, and its only 2wd.... was thinking last night whether I should look into getting my truck ready with snow tires/chains, and a plow at 2wd. Or, look into getting a small F-150 to put a plow on that is 4wd... What do you think would be the best route.

I could use the tractor, but I have no cab, and out here that is necessary during winter I think. To get a cab and such, I think I would spend near the same as investing in a small truck with a plow on it, What do you think about that?

Im not good at this, but I imagine with what Im thinking, the best set up for me would be to get a small truck with nice tires/chains 4wd and a plow on front, and have the walk behind blower with me to clean up the edges etc...

keep the info coming guys, I really need some advice, and im on a tight budget, not sure what I will end up with at the end of the season, so i need ideas, many ideas....

Thanks
Chris

/ Winter Conversion Help #4  
My advice: with the equipment listed and a tight budget, move back to Florida;)

/ Winter Conversion Help #5  
Hi Chris,

I'd say you need to get yourself a snow blower for your tractor, a trailer to transport it to your customers and a good snow suit to stay warm. A 4WD truck would be nice as well.

/ Winter Conversion Help #6  
My advice: with the equipment listed and a tight budget, move back to Florida;)

Sorry, but I ditto that. Your customers are going to expect professional service and the gear you currently have isn't going to provide it. Your competitors will have front-mounted snowblowers with cabs on their tractors, and 4wd F-250s to pull them.

Find a used F-250/2500 that's already set up for plowing and get started with that. If you can find one already set up it will be cheaper than putting it together yourself. If you can't afford that, then you really just might be in the wrong business.

You'll find F-150s and 1500s set up for plowing but they won't last as long or work as fast in a commercial setting.

/ Winter Conversion Help #7  
Check out plowsite.com for more information than you could ever imagine about commercial snow removal in their forums. So much depends on what you intend to do. If you are planning to plow urban driveways that's different than rural long driveways/roads, or from business lots. Paved is different than gravel, distance to travel matters etc. For serious commercial plowing a 4WD truck (usually at least a HD 250 or equivalent is necessary) with plow and sometimes rear scraper too is going to be your most efficient bet. In non mountain terrain chains may not be needed (or even allowed in many places). Tractors with blowers can be great but for commercial use a large tractor (60-120 HP typical) with a cab is the typical setup; usually best for driveway work where you can do a bunch of places reasonably close together.

There's a decent amount of skill involved so if I were you I'd spend some time learning and doing my own property or a friend/family member or two before going all out. Be really careful near buildings, cars etc. I'd find out who does that kind of work in your area and learn about their equipment and business as much as possible. See if anyone is looking for an operator for the season to learn the ropes.

/ Winter Conversion Help #8  
" I'd find out who does that kind of work in your area and learn about their equipment and business as much as possible. See if anyone is looking for an operator for the season to learn the ropes."

Lungdoc gives excellent advice here!! As new to the business as you are, that would be a great introduction (and education) for you, with little to no capital outlay.:thumbsup: