Winter Fuel for dummies?!?

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #11  
In the real world in which most of common scut owners live, we simply go to our nearest Fuel Mart (I use the term generically)and buy our diesel in a fuel can, right?

If I am off here, then let's re-direct, but this is just so simple. Most of us scut owners do NOT have a fuel truck deliver to our homes, as our consumption just isn't enough to justify such a thing.

Thus, all we buy is the standard diesel, yes, over the road, from our local Fuel Mart. Number #1 diesel is finer, but contains less zip (btu). Closer related to Kero. Number #2 is closer related to Heating Oil. That's more than we need to know, frankly, because at our local Fuel Mart, they likely give us no choice. THE Diesel pump. That's it. It is #2. In the winter months, their distributor and refiner will blend it for "winter". (in our area, they also reformulate gasoline for winter blend too.) This means they add a touch of this and that and maybe add a lighter diesel, more akin to kero. Not much, but enough so that their customers, 18 wheelers, busses, trucks, F-250 type owners and yes, the lowly SCUT owner won't be stalled from here to kingdom come. It works, because honestly, there are not stalled vehicles strewn everywhere.

If you have a trustworthy local Fuel Mart then that is all you need to know. If you sense you are getting junk, then buy from someone else. End of story. Again, we SCUT owners simply buy our diesel the way we buy gasoline for our other appliances, by humping our fuel cans.

Adding a splash of treatment is something many guys do, just to hopefully protect themselves.

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #12  
TC 24 Guy

and where do you guys purchase Howse and Power Services treatments?

I buy my Power Service right at my local Walmart. Most hardware store will carry it, service stations will carry it or atleast something similar.
My apologies for hijacking your thread off into a different direction then you intended.

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!?
Thats more like it :eek:)

I do have a few choices, I live near a highway so I have a BP, Shell, Marathon, and Sunoco that sell on-road diesel and one station on the far side of town that sells both on and off-road diesel (I think its a Marathon) I notice alot of black smoking and smell when I use off-road.

No worries Mark, Im just not that good at asking specific questions LOL

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #14  
I would figure out the water thing before I even would concern myself with additives.

That much water didn't happen overnight.

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #15  
In the real world in which most of common scut owners live, we simply go to our nearest Fuel Mart (I use the term generically)and buy our diesel in a fuel can, right?

If I am off here, then let's re-direct, but this is just so simple. Most of us scut owners do NOT have a fuel truck deliver to our homes, as our consumption just isn't enough to justify such a thing.

Thus, all we buy is the standard diesel, yes, over the road, from our local Fuel Mart. Number #1 diesel is finer, but contains less zip (btu). Closer related to Kero. Number #2 is closer related to Heating Oil. That's more than we need to know, frankly, because at our local Fuel Mart, they likely give us no choice. THE Diesel pump. That's it. It is #2. In the winter months, their distributor and refiner will blend it for "winter". (in our area, they also reformulate gasoline for winter blend too.) This means they add a touch of this and that and maybe add a lighter diesel, more akin to kero. Not much, but enough so that their customers, 18 wheelers, busses, trucks, F-250 type owners and yes, the lowly SCUT owner won't be stalled from here to kingdom come. It works, because honestly, there are not stalled vehicles strewn everywhere.

If you have a trustworthy local Fuel Mart then that is all you need to know. If you sense you are getting junk, then buy from someone else. End of story. Again, we SCUT owners simply buy our diesel the way we buy gasoline for our other appliances, by humping our fuel cans.

Adding a splash of treatment is something many guys do, just to hopefully protect themselves.
I think you hit the nail on the head,IF YOU HAVE A TRUSTWORTHY LOCAL FUEL MART.If you sense you are getting junk fuel it might be to late,it might give you gelling problems or worse injector issues the first fill up.That is why I use additives,but not a cure all.Chose you local fuel mart wisely.coobie

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #17  
Thats more like it :eek:)

I do have a few choices, I live near a highway so I have a BP, Shell, Marathon, and Sunoco that sell on-road diesel and one station on the far side of town that sells both on and off-road diesel (I think its a Marathon) I notice alot of black smoking and smell when I use off-road.

No worries Mark, Im just not that good at asking specific questions LOL

Odds are real good that the on road and off road are the same thing.

So you shouldn't be noticing a difference in smoke etc.

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #18  
Odds are real good that the on road and off road are the same thing.

So you shouldn't be noticing a difference in smoke etc.

+1

I agree. Other than the DOT dye for tax collection/enforcement purposes, there should be no difference whatsoever.

Also agree that since we don't have our own refineries in our back 40's we do have to trust some Fuel Station, in the end. Trust, but verify. :D

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!? #19  
and where do you guys purchase Howse and Power Services treatments?

Any auto parts store like NAPA or even Wal-Mart.

Sorry, failed to read through the entire thread. My bad. :eek:

/ Winter Fuel for dummies?!?
+1

I agree. Other than the DOT dye for tax collection/enforcement purposes, there should be no difference whatsoever.

Also agree that since we don't have our own refineries in our back 40's we do have to trust some Fuel Station, in the end. Trust, but verify. :D

I was under the impression that the off-road had more pollutant causing sulfur and that was one of the reasons it was not legal for on-road use. However a call to my friend that has been building and repairing gas stations for the past 20 years confirmed that the only difference would be the red dye. when I mentioned the extra smoke and burning eyes he said that was probably the result of what ever blend that particular station is using and may be caused (by some small extent) by the red dye.