Winter Fuel

/ Winter Fuel
I just got back from a remote site of ours and took the time to fill up. Amoco had clearly labeled #2 Diesel. The sign on the pump looked pretty permanent. If/when they change to #1 for winter, do they change the pump sign? I don't recall ever seeing anything other than #2 on this pump. Maybe they just have a winter blend (50/50) and still sell it as #2?

At this point I'm just curious. As soon as I get home I'll give it a shot of Power Service and worry no more /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Winter Fuel #12  
John MIller got it all right. The problem with cutting with kerosene is the lower sulfur which is where the diesel gets a lot of the lubrication properties so I wouldn't run straight kerosene for that reason. That said it would seem even a 50/50 blend will have less lubricity than a straight diesel. For those reasons I don't worry about what the mix is, I just add a power service type additive and don't worry about it. (Course I pump right out of my home fuel oil tank so I don't know if they use a winter mix or not)

/ Winter Fuel #13  
<font color=blue>Course I pump right out of my home fuel oil tank</font color=blue>

How?

tractor.gif

/ Winter Fuel #14  
gerald,

As I stick my fingers in my ear and cover my eyes.

<font color=red>I pump right out of my home fuel oil tank so I don't know if they use a winter mix or not</font color=red>

I did not read, see, hear this on this forum.

la-la-la-la-laaaaaa /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Terry

/ Winter Fuel #15  
Tank is in garage. Just bought a $20 hand pump suitable for petroleum products. The tanks are fitted with a standard 2inch bung hole so it just drops in the top and screws on. I just pump out what I need and don't have to lug the 5 gal can to the gas station. + the fuel's about $.30/gal cheaper due to no road taxes.

/ Winter Fuel #16  
Ah...My oil tank is in my basement, within sight of the furnace. I can hear the service man now as he gazes at the hand pump sticking out of the top of the tank. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

tractor.gif

/ Winter Fuel #17  
Are you refering to the tax situation?? The fuel is for a tractor which is not over the road and not subject to the road taxes anyway. If I bought at a gas station I could keep the receipts and apply to the tax dept for a refund but thats a LOT of work for a few bucks. (Course I couldn't legally put it in an over the road vehicle but I don't have one of those that use diesel anyway......

/ Winter Fuel #18  
Still don't see the problem Mike. I pump into a 5 gal container "cause my rollbar won't let me drive the tractor into the garage. You could do the same thing if the PA laws are like NY. Home fuel oil is the same thing they sell as "farm diesel", ie dyed red. Just not supposed to be used in anything that travels over the road. Perfectly legal for farm use and since I don't take my bota down to town too much.........../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Winter Fuel #19  
No problem from a legal standpoint...just a problem with the length of hose I'd need to reach from the tank to the closest point I could get the tractor. We used to have the tank outside and when we remodeled (removed aluminum siding to reveal old logs and chinking), we installed a new tank in the basement. The one that was outside was in pretty bad shape, particularly the bottom.

tractor.gif

/ Winter Fuel #20  
Is it truly the exact same thing? I thought there were additives in one or the other that would make it less than desireable (but still possible) to interchange the two...