Winter heating for a 135

/ Winter heating for a 135 #1  

Brakeman

Hey guys its starting to get cold and I'm looking for a way to preheat the Perkins diesel ad3 152. Just wondering if there is a block heater out there for it. Talked to the loco (local) dealer with no help. I don't want to use ether. Not big on Knock Knock jokes any ways, any help would help. And I went through as many posts as I could with no luck. Thanks

/ Winter heating for a 135 #2  
I have used an inline heater in the lower rad hose for a number of years with v.good results, you need to install it close to the block were the hose runs "uphill" and it will circulate well

/ Winter heating for a 135 #3  
Hey guys its starting to get cold and I'm looking for a way to preheat the Perkins diesel ad3 152. Just wondering if there is a block heater out there for it. Talked to the loco (local) dealer with no help. I don't want to use ether. Not big on Knock Knock jokes any ways, any help would help. And I went through as many posts as I could with no luck. Thanks

If there is an accessible core plug on your block, I would put in a block heater. Phillips-Temro makes them and if you google Phillips-Temro you can find their web site. They cost about $30 (US). You merely drain the coolant, knock out the core plug, put the block heater in and tighten the bolt on it, and refill the cooling system. The lonest part of the job is drainging the coolant. If you don't have an acceible core plug tank heaters work well but you have to tap into the hoses and mount a support bracket for the tank somewhere.

/ Winter heating for a 135 #4  
If there is an accessible core plug on your block, I would put in a block heater. Phillips-Temro makes them and if you google Phillips-Temro you can find their web site. They cost about $30 (US). You merely drain the coolant, knock out the core plug, put the block heater in and tighten the bolt on it, and refill the cooling system. The lonest part of the job is drainging the coolant. If you don't have an acceible core plug tank heaters work well but you have to tap into the hoses and mount a support bracket for the tank somewhere.

The A3.152 has a threaded block heater, did they change them on the AD3.152?

/ Winter heating for a 135 #5  
I do not envy anyone who has to deal with those kind of things. I havent had to deal with those kinds of winters since 82. Cant say that I miss it, but can remember using those types of heaters on my old fords (cars) in Minn.

/ Winter heating for a 135
Thanks for the info guys. I talked to a different dealer about a blockheater, said they can get me one, but they can't tell me which frostplug it goes into. And about the in line heaters how well do they work? And if anyone knows where to get a good one in Ontario. My dads IH 384 uses an inline heater but can't find one that doesn't heat the air more than the antifreeze. Thanks

/ Winter heating for a 135 #7  
Where in Ontario are you?

Do you have a heavy insulated blanket? That is what we would throw over the hood of our trusty ol' MF 35.

WilliamBos I'm in the Peterborough area. I ve got cover over the Massey right now. But I'm in a bit of a windy spot. Going to look in to something to keep the heat in. I just want to make sure it will start in the cold.

Hey guys. I finally found out where the block heater on an ad152 goes. It just goes on the right side front plug and it went well. I crossed the Phillips Temro with NAPA, about the same price but the NAPA one is made from machined brass. I have used the block heater when it went down to -12C and it made the difference. One issue is when you install the heater the way it is suppose to be the cord is hard to install and is jammed against a part of the engine casting. I guess the only prblem with that is that I might go through more cord sets.