Snow Winter is coming snowblower question

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #11  
the snow blower saga continues:

a lot of people have front blowers with only rear chains and unloaded tires we did for a long time with our cub cadet years ago as well as the simplicity blower we had.

Its no secret I like the Pronovost snow blowers and their line of machinery and the quality sells itself.

I know of one case where a gentleman runs or did run two blowers on one kubota tractor-municipal unit from what I remember-lots of sidewalks

The rear Kubota does not have a scraper blade or a bottom plate to tie the bottom edges together from what I remember.

For your BX you could operate a PUMA 48 to 72 inch blower, the model 72 has a 29 inch depth of cut where the three smaller PUMA rear mounts have a 24 and one half inch depth of cut.

If you have dual remotes you can order dual hydraulic controls for the chute and spout or manual controls "as an option"

If you have cruise control you should be able to set the speed in reverse and just move with no foot pedal- my wheel horse has cruise control and I am able to set it in reverse when needed to crawl when backing.

It does not sound as if you have loaded tires, and it should not be an issue for you as the cross augers for any rear snow blower will pull in all the snow in front of it.

Never mind the "light front end" business if you have loaded tires and rear chains;

why would he tell you that if the quick attach mounting frame, snow blower frame, mid point PTO and engine are all up front???????

Ask him if he would rather lose a sale than a customer, and if he hesitates you have your answer.

Did he fail to mention the sidewalls of the RAD rear blower may flex and bind the rear auger if you have heavy ice and snow banks to get rid of with the blower? -I bet not.

You can buy a front blade to attach to the loader bucket if you want to do that
easily enough.

The cutting height for either RAD KUBOTA snow blower is lower than the Pronovost units and it avoids spill over and getting stuck in areas where you could sink.

The PUMA as a small farm-rated blower with a 48 to 72 inch cut will serve you well and will be a very good purchase as it is solid and well built. You will be able to use it on another tractor with no issues either.

The 48 inch rear blower will allow you to run the power right up to the top end and clear the snow at a faster rear speed of travel as you will have more horse power per foot available to you at work.

if time is not an issue the 72 inch blower with the 29 inch cut is another way to go with the middle two units between the 48 and 72 inch as another option but linited to the 24.5 inch cutting height.

You could buy a wireless remote camera or mount large rearview mirrors to watch things but the camera would be less money and easier to mount on the rops.

www.pronovost.co.qb/snowblowers

disclaimer: I do not represent Machineries Pronovost or Kubota

Leonz
This link works better for me.
Pronovost Snowblowers
:D

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #12  
Connecting/disconnecting and changing implements back and forth, in near zero weather, especially with pto shafts, etc = something I'd just really rather not do.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #13  
I have a B26 with a rear mounted Pronovost Puma blower. I live in the mountains north of Montreal, Canada so you could say I'm the snow belt. Although I've only had the tractor and blower for a bit over a year (one winter) the Puma is a quality blower. Apart from breaking shear bolts (due to the gravel driveway not the blower)

I've had the chance to visit the Pronovost plant and saw how they make their blowers. I've worked in industry most of my life and was impressed with their production quality.

My driveway is very hilly and I don't have loaded tires but I do have excellent tire chains. The best tractor/blower set up won't help if you can't get traction. I'd recommend looking at your location (hilly, flat, gravel or pavement) and choosing the type of chains (if any) you need. The type I have a great for my location but would tear up pavement within minutes.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question
Thanks for the reply's.
I see a lot of people use the front blower and it works well for them. I'm thinking that the plow will still be used 80% of the time and where my problem comes in is the narrow parts of the drives that have very little storage space. In those areas I have to push the snow down the drive to a wider spot and then move the snow off the gravel drive. Pretty quick the storage space gets full and I have to get the loader out and shove it all back and its tough on me and machine.
I have tried leaving the backhoe on when I'm plowing but the front end gets light and the snow pushes the plow around instead of the plow pushing the snow. Thats my concern with a rear blower hanging off the back. I see the rear blowers weigh about 450-550 lbs for a BX23 and hang quite a ways back.

Will the front end be to light for the plow to work well?
I've never used any rear attachments and how hard is it to mount and unmount the 3 point rear snow-blower?

I could take the blower off when the plow can do the job.

It seems ideal for my needs to have the front plow which works great and the rear blower for the narrow spots or to move back the piles. Does anybody else use that combination?

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #15  
Thanks for the reply's.
I see a lot of people use the front blower and it works well for them. I'm thinking that the plow will still be used 80% of the time and where my problem comes in is the narrow parts of the drives that have very little storage space. In those areas I have to push the snow down the drive to a wider spot and then move the snow off the gravel drive. Pretty quick the storage space gets full and I have to get the loader out and shove it all back and its tough on me and machine.
I have tried leaving the backhoe on when I'm plowing but the front end gets light and the snow pushes the plow around instead of the plow pushing the snow. Thats my concern with a rear blower hanging off the back. I see the rear blowers weigh about 450-550 lbs for a BX23 and hang quite a ways back.

I've never used any rear attachments and how hard is it to mount and unmount the 3 point rear snow-blower?

It seems ideal for my needs to have the front plow which works great and the rear blower for the narrow spots or to move back the piles. Does anybody else use that combination?

Our Buhler/Farmking 50 inch rear mount weighs 422 and is rated for 15-30 HP tractors. I think the rear mount will compliment the front plow as you will have better traction on the rear with the blower on the 3 point. As for hooking up, your 2 lift arms, your top link and plug in your PTO and you are ready to go. Ken Sweet

Attachments

• farmkingsnowblower.jpg
    farmkingsnowblower.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 206
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #16  
If your front end is light you need to have the rear tires loaded for sure.

Its not hard to mount and dismount the rear blower.

You have to remember to keep it lubed up as it will not behave if it is not kept clean and greased-every PTO implement is like that as the grease will disolve and lose its lubricating quality- especially the moly greases.

Just keep the PTO shaft and coupler clean and greased with towels, alcohol, and Fluid Film for the lower right arm crank if it has one, the locking pin or ring and greasing the splines after cleaning them, and also use fluid film on the three point balls and top link lock nut and the mounting pins on the blower.

You (should) need buy a spring release slip clutch PTO shaft for a rear mounted implement of any kind simply as it is the best way to protect the drive train.

As you have the dual remotes (I assume with the back hoe) you would want both the spout and chute hydraulics for the Pronovost blower anyway(I would)
and they use the quick couplers so its easy- just be sure to buy the good high pressure ones by Aeroquip or Parker as there is a lot of junk in couplers out there for sale.

Grease every time you blow snow or use the loader every day !!!
The red grease is fine to use.

The rear blower will give you additonal ballast- just remember its back there when backing around buildings, cars, cats- no, they have no sence of humor when wacked by powder snow!!

You can bolt a pair of bicycle flags to the left and right sides of the blower to aid in aligning the blower when mounting and when using it.

Edit- you have to remember the upper boom and lower boom on the back hoe are essentially nothing more than a vertical weight which will take advantage of gravity period and the fronrt end raises due to the excavator attachment essentially bouncing forward and back from movement of the tractor- the upper boom and dipper boom may be secured but the mass they have creates energy, releases it, and it is passed throught the tractor to the front end(if the tires were loaded it would cancel this as the tires are filled with air and the tires are flexing which adds to it all)

If you left the excavator off when you are in no need of it, it would benefit your snow removal in any case.

Last edited:
   / Winter is coming snowblower question #17  
Thanks for the reply's.

It seems as though you have made up your mind on a rear blower.

I'm wondering why you posted,
"I can get the front mounted blower but I would have to switch out the front blower and plow depending on snow conditions".
and
"I already have the quick hitch so the price is about the same for the front or rear snow blower."
when it has been suggested from other's experience that you will not need to change to a blade or bucket with a front blower? What is the special need to change to a blade?

/ Winter is coming snowblower question
No I haven't made up my mind yet because of the two questions I asked.
1. Will the front end be to light for the plow to work well? With the backhoe on, the plow didn't work as well so I'm wondering how hanging a 450 lb blower off the back affects the front plow...which leads to the most important question #2

2.Does anybody else use that combination? It sure seems to me that a front plow and rear blower could work well, but I have never seen anybody else with that combination. I'm wondering why. From the posts and videos that I've seen the rear blower/front loader is the popular combination.
By far the majority of my snow moving is with the plow and it works fine, its just what kind of blower to have:

1. rear blower on all the time
2. rear blower on just when needed ( because the front end gets light)
3 front blower and swap out for front plow when needed, but the plow is major snow mover. I can't see blowing so much snow without a cab.

Its seems like somebody should have the front plow/rear blower on a BX23 and that's why I have not made up my mind.

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #19  
I have 2 BXs- both with front blowers and a 2410 with a front blade and a rear blower.

I don't think the question is whether the front end is too light- the tractor itself is small and your top speed is limited by the hydro. Plowing snow is all about maintaining speed, unless you have a heavy unit.

The rear blower is a PITA. I normally plow as much as possible into a small area and then use the blower to send it 50+ feet out of the way.

It's partly a question of how often you plan to clear snow. If you can plow every 2-3 inches, the plow setup will work fine.
If you arrive home to 6 inches or more, you will want and need the blower. If you do it all in reverse, better buy frequent flyer tickets with a chiropractor!!

/ Winter is coming snowblower question #20  
You could always get a plow setup for the FEL. BXpanded offers one i believe. Then you have the weight of the FEL balancing the rear blower. But the plow blade attached to the FEL bucket. Will do what you want and with the plow on the FEL you can really push and stack snow more than with just a blade. Like I have said before. I personnally like the front blower but I only have 150' of driveway and 4 parking areas to clear. Takes me 15 minutes with the front blower. Even with snow blowing back at me I'm not out there long enough to care. Bundle up and just do it.