Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #51  
So, bdhsfz6, I'm thinking this winter would be a good time to do some experiments for next year.

1. What are your top 3 options?
  2. How do they do for not freezing together in storage?
  3. How do they spread?
  4. How well do they increase traction?
  5. How much do they cost?

(I still think pea rock is worth a try)

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #52  
I'm looking at this drum tilt ring for the forks on my other tractor:

That would work with a 55 gallon drum but not very well with smaller trash cans. Have you considered making a small bucket with a tapered front and sides to pour nicely into your spreader.
Similar to this but it could be much lighter.
1702763556188.png

The expensive way to go would be a side dump bucket;
1702761898556.png

the side shooter buckets are nice also;
1702762122654.png

Also there is a self loading sand spreader available;
1702762626518.png

1702762768579.png

1702763111312.png

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #53  
So, bdhsfz6, I'm thinking this winter would be a good time to do some experiments for next year.

1. What are your top 3 options?
  2. How do they do for not freezing together in storage?
  3. How do they spread?
  4. How well do they increase traction?
  5. How much do they cost?

(I still think pea rock is worth a try)
Crusher fines would be better than smooth pea rock. And cheaper. The angular edges on the crusher rock sticks into the snow/ice.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads
That would work with a 55 gallon drum but not very well with smaller trash cans. Have you considered making a small bucket with a tapered front and sides to pour nicely into your spreader.
Similar to this but it could be much lighter.
I have several empty 55 gal drums around I could use instead of the 30 Gal cans. I don't want to make a big investment if this is the last year for the coal stove.

I do have a narrow bucket I can use to load pea gravel or other anti skid into the spreader.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #55  
Did you find a video for that Uline drum tilter? From the picture of it, not sure how it works. Jon

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #56  
self loading sand spreader
That is pretty neat as I had no idea that a 3-point hitch or front mount self loader for sand/salt spreader was made.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads
Did you find a video for that Uline drum tilter? From the picture of it, not sure how it works. Jon
From what I can see, you use the FEL to lift & tilt the drum. The chains keep it from sliding off the forks. The fork pockets also swivel.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #58  
To limit the spread pattern, I spin it with a hydraulic motor instead of the PTO. That way. I can control the speed using a rear remote. I also removed 2 of the 4 cups from the spreader disk.

My biggest concern is the weight. The cone, filled with fine gravel, would weigh over 2000# I'm not sure the Fressori spreader is designed to handle that much weight.
IDK, I'd say fertilizer and Lime must be pretty close to the same density; I'd actually think it might be heavier, an 80# bag of fertilizer doesn't occupy a very large volume.
I've filled mine heaping full with antiskid with no issues.