Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #41  
I'm still looking at what is available. The coal ash cinders I use now vary in size from fly ash up to 1/2'.

You can see the spreader in my avatar picture but here's a better view:

View attachment 833680

I'm also concerned about weight. The 3pt will lift over a ton but I'm not sure about the weight limit on the ag spreader. It's designed for seed & fertilizer, not heavy material.
I've been using a spreader of that design for almost 10 years for gravel antiskid with no issues. It should be fine. You can get or make a limiter for the spreading disk to confine it from being thrown so far.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads
I've been using a spreader of that design for almost 10 years for gravel antiskid with no issues. It should be fine. You can get or make a limiter for the spreading disk to confine it from being thrown so far.
To limit the spread pattern, I spin it with a hydraulic motor instead of the PTO. That way. I can control the speed using a rear remote. I also removed 2 of the 4 cups from the spreader disk.

My biggest concern is the weight. The cone, filled with fine gravel, would weigh over 2000# I'm not sure the Fressori spreader is designed to handle that much weight.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #43  
One concern I would have with cinders in a container is the fine dusty ash, you mentioned going in and loading with a shovel, the dust would be a concern for me. Used to be I wouldn't have been concerned but having a bit of COPD breathing dust and grit is not a favored thought, I do wear a dust mask now days more then I ever did when I should have.
We Know of a contractor keeping salted sand in a storage container, he loads it with his tractor just as full as possible and unloads for his sander in the winter. So if your tractor would fit a container that is a possibility. When talking to him he did say when it does rust out the next one will get painted very well and possibly with bed liner on the walls. It has lasted 4-5 years now for him with no penetrations.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #44  
So, bdhsfz6, What solution did you choose (and why?)

So, bdhsfz6, What solution did you choose (and why?)
I decided to burn coal this season after all so I'll continue to use coal ash this winter.

I'll continue to look at other options for next season.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #46  
I decided to burn coal this season after all so I'll continue to use coal ash this winter.

I'll continue to look at other options for next season.
I'm doing the same here now, I expect the cost is a bit better down there, I was $470 ton for bagged Lehigh nut.
This may be my last year for coal, the knees are making it hard to get down and knife the grates, and the shoulders complain from carrying the buckets in. It is less expensive then other fuels though even at my high prices.
Got about 3/4 of a 35 gallon trash can of ash so far.

I'm doing the same here now, I expect the cost is a bit better down there, I was $470 ton for bagged Lehigh nut.
This may be my last year for coal, the knees are making it hard to get down and knife the grates, and the shoulders complain from carrying the buckets in. It is less expensive then other fuels though even at my high prices.
Got about 3/4 of a 35 gallon trash can of ash so far.
Yes, I'm near the NEPA coal valley so the trucking cost is less. I paid $340 / ton this fall for good quality anthracite.

I hear you about tending the grates. I started burning coal 45 years ago by adding a shaker grate to my wood stove. After 10 years on my knees, I spent some $$ on a Harman Magnum stoker. No grate maintenance at all. Just add rice coal to the hopper, set the thermostat and empty the ash pan every other day. It's been bullet proof for over 30 years now and has paid for itself several times over.

Still, moving the coal around isn't as easy as it used to be. I store it in the barn to keep it dry and used to carry it in 5 gal pails. When my back began acting up, I made a dolly that holds a 30 gal can and rolled it into the basement.

My biggest problem now is loading the ash into the spreader. In my younger years, I was able to hoist a 20 gal can and dump it into the hopper. Those days are long gone, now I have to shovel it in. I have yet to devise a way to make it easier.

Just another thing to add to the "old guy" list.

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #48  
"My biggest problem now is loading the ash into the spreader. In my younger years, I was able to hoist a 20 gal can and dump it into the hopper."

Dump it into the hopper when the can is half full. :)

/ Winter Maintenance on Slippery Private Roads #49  
"My biggest problem now is loading the ash into the spreader. In my younger years, I was able to hoist a 20 gal can and dump it into the hopper."

Dump it into the hopper when the can is half full. :)
How about a ramp tall enough to set the can up on and then dump into the hopper? Earthen berm maybe? Jon

How about a ramp tall enough to set the can up on and then dump into the hopper? Earthen berm maybe? Jon
I'm looking at this drum tilt ring for the forks on my other tractor: