Winter starting - TC40DA

/ Winter starting - TC40DA
Since I started this thread, I've added Power Service to the fuel and I do believe that helps. I get my fuel at a station along the interstate. It isn't a truck stop, just the nearest diesel. So hard to tell how "fresh" it might be. I also purchaced a Mr. Funnel (just recieved it) to make sure I'm not getting any water.

The tractor came equipped with a heater and I think I'll start plugging it in before starting. Anyone have an idea of the shortest amount of time I need to operate the heater before it will do any good? The tractor is in a cold barn and will only be started on the weekends, so I don't want to leave the heater plugged in 24/7. Thanks

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #22  
Barry, mine warms up in a half hour to hour from about 20 degrees. I have the NH block heater, which I believe is pretty powerful compared to others. Other styles, such as dipstick or magnetic are not nearly as powerful or as efficient to the block heater from NH. To be safe, if you have the NH heater, I'd give it an hour.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Barry, mine warms up in a half hour to hour from about 20 degrees. I have the NH block heater, which I believe is pretty powerful compared to others. Other styles, such as dipstick or magnetic are not nearly as powerful or as efficient to the block heater from NH. To be safe, if you have the NH heater, I'd give it an hour. )</font>
Thanks for the info. When my dealer delivered the tractor he said he had included the heater as part of the deal. Glad he did, since I wasn't thinking about cold weather starts last spring.

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #24  
Barry:

Up here in Ontario, it seems the dealer automatically installs the block heater. I got the impression it was non negotiable., but then, we install block heater in everything up here!

Started my TC 45DA this past weekend @ -6 Celsius without any hesitation. I hope the trend continues....
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Question; being new to diesel usage in the winter, can anyone tell me what type of fuel I should use? I have read the different threads and people have mentioned, diesel #1, diesel #2, winerized, fresh...............????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifWhat should I be asking the local gas station owner about the product they are selling????

Thanks

/ Winter starting - TC40DA #25  
If you are buying it from a gas station, via a pump cars and trucks can drive up to, the most likely result is #2 - winterized. This should be fine for your use, especially if you're using the heater. You may see some very minor accumulation of parafin in the filter bowl, but it should be minimal. After all, if the cars and trucks can run on it all winter long, you should be fine too. Around here, if you want #1, you'll have to special order it from a fuel distributor.