Winter storage, tarped outside for a IH674 diesel

/ Winter storage, tarped outside for a IH674 diesel #1  

HoffAppFarm

Tractor
IH 674
Greetings!

We bought and had refurbished, a IH674 diesel which has worked great for us. It痴 our first tractor and being a first generation hop farmer, I知 learning this as I go.

I thought we壇 have room in our barn (large 3 stall garage) to store it over winter, which we did early in the Spring when we got it?owever the barn is busting at the seams now so looks like it may need to remain outdoors. At present, I tarp/cover it after use so it痴 been fine all season long, however preparing it for Winter is a different story.

Could folks help me determine what I need to do to prep it?uel additives, protecting the tires as best I can, keeping critters out, any other fluids that either need additives or should be drained. It has a front bucket that I致e unmounted?nything specific for the hydraulics?luid, protecting the terminals, etc?

Thanks!

Joshua

/ Winter storage, tarped outside for a IH674 diesel #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Keeping the critters out - a friend down the road swears on the use of Peppermint oil/extract to keep mice out of his tractor when in winter storage. He puts a quarter of a teaspoon in each of about three shop rags. One directly on top of the engine and two in the cab.

Power Service makes an additive for diesel for storage use

Be certain the tires are out of the sun - UV is death on tires

Remove the battery and store in a heated environment or keep the battery in the tractor and put a battery maintainer on it

Its a good idea to change the engine oil & filter before storage

You shouldn't have to do anything to the hydraulic fluid

Grease all the zerks if you haven't done so in the last twenty hours or so

Hose off any accumulations of dirt - this will help prevent rust during storage

I don't know about the finish on your tractor but if you cover it with a tarp - every spot where the tarp touches the finish is likely to become "burnished". As the wind blows the tarp it will tend to dull any shiny new finish.

/ Winter storage, tarped outside for a IH674 diesel #4  
Greetings!

We bought and had refurbished, a IH674 diesel which has worked great for us. It痴 our first tractor and being a first generation hop farmer, I知 learning this as I go.

I thought we壇 have room in our barn (large 3 stall garage) to store it over winter, which we did early in the Spring when we got it?owever the barn is busting at the seams now so looks like it may need to remain outdoors. At present, I tarp/cover it after use so it痴 been fine all season long, however preparing it for Winter is a different story.

Could folks help me determine what I need to do to prep it?uel additives, protecting the tires as best I can, keeping critters out, any other fluids that either need additives or should be drained. It has a front bucket that I致e unmounted?nything specific for the hydraulics?luid, protecting the terminals, etc?

Thanks!

Joshua

I had an IH2500b, which is sort of similar. Its an industrial tractor loader. Mine was the gas engine and HST transmission. I stored it outside over winter at our remote property for about 10 years. I'd build a wood frame around it, then tarp it for the winter. It had a cab, so that was the peak of the tent. My main problems were tire pressure going down and critters getting in the cab, and mice building nests in pretty much every nook a cranny. Something (I think a cat) would drag rabbits into the cab through a very small hole in the footwells, and leave the guts on the seat every year! :p

If I had to do it over again, I'd get a portable shelter similar to this:
Shed & Storage Shed-In-A-Box Roundtop 1 x 1 x 8 Ft.

As mentioned, cover the tires from the sun if possible.

/ Winter storage, tarped outside for a IH674 diesel #5  
Oh yeah, welcome to TBN! :thumbsup: