winter tractor

/ winter tractor #1  

Nwood

Have a 70's ford 335 with no glow plugs and no chains.

Had some snow to move and after a bit of work and a small miracle got it started on a -16 degree morning. After finally getting it started it was darn near useless in the snow.
It probably would have been less work to shovel. it was so bad that the tractor would not move on the flat without walking it with the front loader!

This is an older 40 horse 2wd but runs well. Will chains make this usable in the snow, or is that good money after bad, Those chains aren't cheap.

Thanks,

Dean

/ winter tractor #2  
Chains will make it seem like a whole new tractor. However, don't let me be the one to talk you out of a new tractor. :)

/ winter tractor #3  
Chains will make it seem like a whole new tractor. However, don't let me be the one to talk you out of a new tractor. :)

In addition to chains, 3 pt / rear ballast to the tune of 1000# or so would be a great help, if you're not already using it...

/ winter tractor #4  
Chains will make it a bulldozer, get the v-bar, makes it better in dirt and mud as well.

Try blowing some heat on it to help with the cold starting.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN2467.JPG
    DSCN2467.JPG
    996.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN2524.JPG
    DSCN2524.JPG
    993.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN2960.JPG
    DSCN2960.JPG
    986.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN2935.jpg
    DSCN2935.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 210
   / winter tractor #5  
Here is a winter starting trick, but you'll need electricity and a hair dryer. Run the hair dryer for 3-4 minutes blowing hot air into the air intake/air cleaner assembly. Provided the engine will crank reasonably well and your fuel is not gelled, it will fire right off, and start much better on the warmer air.

Some diesels have an air intake heater for just this reason -

/ winter tractor #6  
Chains and a plug in rad hose heater (if you have any power supply) Plug it in for a half hour before using and it will probably start like summer:p
You did not say if the tires were ballasted but a two wheel drive fel tractor without weight and chains in the winter is in the local vernacular "like a cow on ice" and starting a diesel without heat is "like trying to wake up a teenager"

/ winter tractor
thanks guys.

mr heater went to task and got things warmed up to where it would fire off.
Did have to grind a bit more than I would have liked but thats winter.
The engine would pop once and the starter would kick out. no way that was going to work. ok so I cranked for 10 seconds with the fuel shut off then pushed in the cutoff and it fired off like its supposed to. Gotta think about things sometimes to get the desired result.

where can i get a set of chains without breaking the bank?

Dean

/ winter tractor #8  
If you have electricity available, there are lots of options: easy to install lower radiator hose heater, magnetic or stick-on heater, drop-light w/wo blanket, and install a battery tender on your battery.