winterizing the tractor

/ winterizing the tractor #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Hi,

I won't be using the tractor over the winter months and wanted to know what if anything should I do to winterize it. I'm storing it in an unheated garage and won't be starting it for the months Nov.-Apr. I assume the manufacturer puts antifreeze in the cooling system? Should I disconnect the battery? All tips/suggestions appreciated...TIA

/ winterizing the tractor #2  
I would put a battery tender on it and that would be it. Check the quality of antifreeze to make sure it is good for your lowest temperature (the little bulb tester with the floating balls will tell you if the amount of antifreeze is sufficient). If it is a model with a clutch, depress the clutch and block the pedal down to prevent the clutch plate from rusting together. Check your hydraulic oil for any moisture or water contamination- as long as it is clear and not milky after running it should be good.
Let it set till spring, then crank it up, get it to operating temps, then change the oil and filter. Periodic cold cranking in winter "to warm the engine" is the worst thing you can do for an engine.

/ winterizing the tractor #3  
This is what I do (tractor is a 2000 Deere 4400 with reverser transmission):
a) Fill the fuel tank with winterized diesel (or use an anti-gelling additive)
b) Spray any bare metal and chromed (loader cylinder rods) with Fluid Film or equivalent.
c) If you intend to use the tractor for snow removal, put the chains on before storage.
d) If your tractor has a clutch, BLOCK THE CLUTCH pedal so the pressure plate doesn't rust to the clutch (wet clutches don't need this, dry clutches definitely do need to be blocked.
e) assume nothing...check your anti-freeze.
f) I don't, but many folks do disconnect or put a trickle charger on their battery.

I don't do a spit-shine on my tractor, but I do hit all areas with compressed air to blow out any dirt and debris. I also grease all the zerks (on both the tractor and implements).
If your tractor has a block heater, do have it ready to use (but do not leave if plugged up constantly...waste of electricity/money).

/ winterizing the tractor #4  
And put some Dryer sheets in the dash to keep the mice from eating your wiring.

/ winterizing the tractor
Sorry for posting this in the JD forum...must have lost my way.. :laughing:

I have a dry clutch so thanks for the tip on blocking the pedal...and as well the dryer sheets...first I'm hearing of that, but the mice population is formidable in our neck of the woods so it's probably cheap insurance. I just did my first 50 hour engine and transmission oil change ($600 for materials :thumbdown:) so I don't think I have issues with moisture in the trans..but I suppose I'll be looking at another engine oil change come spring.

Thanks again for the info.

/ winterizing the tractor #6  
Bring it to me here in Michigan and I'll run it for you regularly and keep it in the barn when I'm not. ;)

/ winterizing the tractor #7  
Lots of good tips here. Virginia is a little more moderate than where you live, but I don't have a barn/garage; mine sits under the elevated back porch and I tarp it. I normally don't run mine from January thru March. I always change the engine oil and filter, and the antifreeze each December, regardless of hours operated (normally around 50). I also place bait for mice out under the tractor and it always disappears so I assume that helps some. I usually bring the battery inside during the winter, but thats probably overkill too.

Bring it to me here in Michigan and I'll run it for you regularly and keep it in the barn when I'm not. ;)

Wonder how many engine/trans oil changes that would be ... :laughing:

Lots of good tips here. Virginia is a little more moderate than where you live, but I don't have a barn/garage; mine sits under the elevated back porch and I tarp it. I normally don't run mine from January thru March. I always change the engine oil and filter, and the antifreeze each December, regardless of hours operated (normally around 50). I also place bait for mice out under the tractor and it always disappears so I assume that helps some. I usually bring the battery inside during the winter, but thats probably overkill too.

Thanks... the dryer sheets idea for the mice ...if it's for real...seems like a home run.

/ winterizing the tractor #10  
I use mine for snow removal and the occasional car towing out of ditches in the winter.
Wash it (assuming you don't on a weekly or each use basis already). Don't store it under the trees. Leaves are corrosive and will mess up your finish. Tree sap sucks, especially pines. And blown down branches will beat your tractor up.
Don't tarp it until temperatures stay below freezing (prevents condensation under the tarp.)
Couple of containers of Decon strategically under the hood and driver compartments for the gnawing critters.