Wire inventory?

/ Wire inventory? #11  
I'm using 030 now - used to use 035 in my 175a MIG. I liked the added material in 035 but I loaned my machine to a best friend and they ran it out of wire and replaced with 030. Am I wrong to want to use the bigger wire?

/ Wire inventory? #13  
Wondering about penetration, the larger wire (pool) seems to produce better looking welds. But that may just be my limited skills. Welding is a hobby. Maybe I'm just moving too fast with the 030?

/ Wire inventory? #14  
Wondering about penetration, the larger wire (pool) seems to produce better looking welds. But that may just be my limited skills. Welding is a hobby. Maybe I'm just moving too fast with the 030?
You can change the penetration by changing the direction of travel. If you push the tip, it will penetrate less than if you pull the tip. At work, anything small, we would TIG vs using the MIG in sizes .035, .045, 1/16, .072 or stick weld. The neighbor has a small .035 FC that I can do most small repairs with.

/ Wire inventory? #15  
I love .030 wire, it's all I use. I can do anything I want with it. It's just heavy enough to be able to penetrate some heaver stuff. Yet, still do a nice job on sheet metal.

But, I don't have the power to run .040 wire anyway. And, my limited experience with 200+ amp welders has been, that they don't weld thin metal all that well, so I wouldn't put .023 or .030 wire in the machines I have used.

I would guess though, that there are powerful machines out there, which can weld thin metal well.

It certainly isn't a big investment to try a 3lb. spool, and some tips to see what happens.

If you are used to heavy wire and steel, it is a different skill set doing sheet metal.

/ Wire inventory?
It's the adjustment of the machines, not it's Amp size persay weather you can do thinner materials or not with it.

/ Wire inventory? #17  
I'm not a real "weldor" who welds aluminum foil or dabbles in monel, hastelloy, etc. I'm just a homeowner who likes to tinker. I had a chance to get a good deal on a Millermatic 175 shortly after buying the B7500 back in '02. It gets fed 030 solid with gas and 035 fluxcore without gas. The majority is welding outdoors with 035 fluxcore with that machine. I do have some 023 solid for occasional teensy stuff.

The start of my interest in welding was shortly after I married a farm girl. Her dad had some tools that included an ancient Lincoln AC tombstone. First thing I leaned after a Summer welding session was that one's belly can get a sunburn when welding without a shirt:)

My first project was making a mount for an 8K Bellview (early Warn, power in only) winch. Next was adding a Myers snow plow to the Blazer that came without the mounting bracketry. Had lots of fun with that Chevy and never had anything that I welded break off.

After many years of wirefeed usage I wanted a stick machine for fun. That led to an Everlast 200 STi 120/240V inverter welder. Nice smooth little machine. I've tried a number of different electrodes, but generally like 7014.

/ Wire inventory? #19  
We need to remember that wire size used is in relation to the materials being welded.
Yep. It is the same as hammer size. Big hammers for big jobs. Don't use a sledge hammer when fixing a watch.

/ Wire inventory? #20  
I've been using Lincoln Idealarc SP-150 MIG since 1990 and have used .024" & .030" wires for all kinds of welding from thin sheet metal to 3/8" steel.

Great all around welder for my needs.

Photo from the net:
Lincoln_Idealarc_SP-150.jpg