Wired driveway alarm

/ Wired driveway alarm #11  
So I'm looking at about 460' of underground internet cable to get to the street. How far can I go before I need a signal booster?
I've recently been discussing this product with another member here, and kicking around some ideas. The impression is it might work fine for a limited application, at longer distrance, but you wouldn't want to use it with a lot of devices and activity on the remote end.

I am interested in the product for myself. My application is a 450 ft run to an IP camera. Just one camera. So I'm mulling over whether I try it or not. I don't have any experience with it ..... but a single cable running longer than usual is appealing because it could be much simpler.

/ Wired driveway alarm #12  
O.P., if you decide to use a mag sensor probe, and since you have a backhoe, simply remove a few buckets of the iron ore soil/gravel where the probe is to be located, and replace with clean fill. Bury the probe in the non-magnetic fill.

If you want wifi at the entrance location, you can install Ubiquiti Nano Station. That should easily give you well over a thousand feet distance, with no repeater.

This one should also work well.

/ Wired driveway alarm #13  
I have been very pleased with my Mier Drive Alert DA-500. I also can pick up small gravel with a magnet, but it hasn't affected the operation. I've had it for about 9 years I think without any problems. I did put the cable in plastic conduit. Previously I had a Dakota murs radio based system that was nothing but problems.

/ Wired driveway alarm #14  
Our driveway is around 300-350 ft to the cul de sac. We've a Dakota Alert system with an air hose connected to a sender unit with a receiver in the house. Have baby monitors to transmit the signal to the other 2 floors. Has worked great.

/ Wired driveway alarm #15  
Whatever else you do, since you're running power and ethernet anyways, consider adding a camera out there. Place a simple unmanaged 5 port switch in some kind of enclosure to plug in the camera and whatever else you have in mind. The two I got recently were under $50 each. They're pan/tilt (no zoom), infrared with floodlights that come on via motion detection and can send alerts. They also have two way voice communication.

/ Wired driveway alarm #16  
You might want to have a look at Ubiquiti nanobeams. I would go wireless if I could rather than mess with a concrete slab, or trench around it. It will never be the same.

You know your conditions best, but I would have thought that adjacent to the driveway would have been less compacted and easier to dig through.

All the best,

Peter

/ Wired driveway alarm #17  
Being a retired electric lineman I cannot tell you how many times I went to a power outage call and folks DID NOT even have there address displayed on the property.I have a highly reflector type numbers with our address on a post next to our driveway ..When time is of the essence its very important to have your address displayed..

/ Wired driveway alarm #18  
OP, sorry but this is kinda related...

I'd like to do that on my 3000' foot driveway. My power line from the road is buried along that driveway. IIRC, there was some talk about sending the internet thru power lines since (reportedly) the two signals didn't interfere with each other. Anybody know of such a thing?
Yes there is, plugs into a power point each end then attach a data cable to each end to the device, I have used them in the past but they only work on the same circuit (we have 4 on our present place so have to know what is on what circuit), we used it to a steel out building as wifi wouldn't work.
Now I cannot recall the name but it was a well known brand, any computer store would know.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc