wireless networks

/ wireless networks #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
A few years ago, I installed a wireless network at my house.. that way the wifes computer could talk to my computer across the hallway.

We were both on win98 then.. I got her a usb netgear wireless carb.. and picked up a linksys wireless access point and popped that into my hub/switch.. configed the card and wap with the network name.. wep encryption, channel.. etc. All went well.

a few months ago my computer died.. I replaced it with an xp system. just got around to getting the wireless network back up... no go..

On the wifes cpu.. the usb card indicates it sees and is connected to the wap as shown on its 'site survey', etc. However on my side.. I get the feeling that the wap is not making connection to the computer... I can config it via usb hookup.. but not via the DFU utility thru the lan... norton firewall blocks the configuration.. I'm halfway thinking the firewall is also blocking communication between the wap and my xp machine.. I just gave up and am now using my usb flash drive to move files back and forth... what a pain... I like the P&P aspect of XP.. but it is so hands off in the network dept that it is a bit frustrating... 98/95/dos was easy to network in... been doing it for a couple decades... as far back as 2mb thomas conrad arcnet cards.. etc.. and even some serial networks back in the 8088 days... xp is way to bondage and discipline...

Soundguy

/ wireless networks #2  
SoundGuy

I agree completely. They have taken windows to the complete idiot stage. I am tempted to resurrect OS2 or eCS as it is now called.

Vernon

/ wireless networks #3  
Add an exception in the windows firewall at the XP machine, or do I like I do, turn it off, use Norton Internet Security etc.

/ wireless networks #4  
Soundguy, I use Zone Alarm not norton... So there will be differances of courre... But If I understand correctly your version of nortons has a firewall.... If so make sure you turn off XP's fire wall as it is on by default... That said... What I had to do was set up the folder on my Desktop i needed access to share over local network. This allowed me to access certain folders from my company laptop via my linksys wireles router... If I recall correctly I simply right clicked on the folder and chose sharing and security... and followed it through... This only allowes me acces to that folder and its subfolders but it was all I needed...

Hope this helped... I'm not sure how norton firewall will responed to this, but it allowed me to access myn... I did have to tell zone alarm it was ok for my laptop to do this... When It warned me someone was trying to access my pc... I had to tinker with it a bit but it only took a few minutes to get it working...

/ wireless networks
To all those responding.

Yes.. windows firewall is disabled.

I'm using nortons internet security 2005 ( norton anti virus.. email checking.. firewall )

Windows reports -0- activity on the lan...

My switch/hub front display shows the computer as an active connection, and the wap as an active connection.

The 'linked' light comes on when the wap is plugged into the hub.

The hub does work.. i checked it at work.. the wap worked as of a couple months ago.. and the wireless card on my wifes computer, see's and identifies, and indicates a link with the wap.. so I'm at a loss here.

Since windows reports no activity on the lan.. obviously xp is not seeing any of the wap activity thru the hub...
When i try to search the lan via windows 'search for computer' I see the packets sent tally increase on the networks properties tab, as well as can watch the light blink on the front of the switch/hub.. so i know the network card is functioning....

ARGH!!!

At work.. we have a small lan.. all 98 machines except mine. Mine was 98.. but i got a new machine a month ago.. was xp.. I just plugged everything up as before, and my xp machine saw all other pc's on the lan.. and they see the xp machine.

At work I use the windoes firewall that was 'on' by default.

GRRRRR... in making this stuff 'idiot proof' microsoft also made it a tad hard for the 'hands on' of the 'old' days.

Soundguy

/ wireless networks #6  
SoundGuy…

I’m not sure which Linksys WAP you have but if I can assume that normally (if there is such a thing) the WAP has one port to connect to the Cable modem or DSL modem and the other ports (usually 4 on home network version) connect to the wired (RJ45) computers in your network. The wireless computers connect via the 802.11.ABG RF side.

You mentioned having a Hub… For simplicity sake I would eliminate the Hub and connect everything through the WAP/Router. I might be confused about your specific configuration but as you described it and assuming the WAP has network ports (muli-RJ45s) I would remove the Hub from your setup.

Hope this helps

/ wireless networks #7  
Same thing I was thinkin'... what's the hub for? You can use the WAP for a hub.

/ wireless networks
It's not a router with a built in WAP.. it's a standalone WAP.

It has a USB port for configuration only ( optional.. not needed ).. and it has a single rj45 for connection to a hub/switch/router.

This setup worked fine previous to wp.. it's not a hardware mismatch.

wireless computer has the usb wireless carb.. my computer has a plain lan card.. I'm hooked to a switch/hub... the WAP is hooked to the switch/hub.

I originally tried a router w/ WAP.. but couldn't use it, as the routers automatically set themselves up as dhcp host.. and at the time.. i wanted my computer as dhcp host for internet connection shareing.. that's why I went with the standalone WAP. The DHCP is no longer an issue as the other computer has it's own internet connection, seperate from my computer.

Anyone still make/sell home phone line networking cards? that'd be an easy setup...

Soundguy

/ wireless networks #9  
I'm not a IT guy by any means, I usually stumble through things and get them fixed. But I couldnt tell you what I did. I have had this problem before and it seems that when I went into the network connections and changed the enable/disable status, then changed it back allowing it to reset things started working. Just my .02 ....

I think I would contact MS and ask them, I'm of course assuming the XP OS is purchased /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif..
Surely they could walk you through the setup being a new system. On the other hand if its a bootlegg, good luck.

Wish I could assist more.

/ wireless networks #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I originally tried a router w/ WAP.. but couldn't use it, as the routers automatically set themselves up as dhcp host.. and at the time.. i wanted my computer as dhcp host for internet connection shareing.. that's why I went with the standalone WAP. The DHCP is no longer an issue as the other computer has it's own internet connection, seperate from my computer.)</font>

Remote troubleshooting is always tough, but what you mention above might be the key...

From what you've described so far, it sounds like a possible IP problem, i.e. each computer is configured for a different logical network. You don't mention the details of the internet/ISP connections for your PC, but if the laptop has a full-time broadband connection, and is picking up it's IP config from the ISP, it's likely configured for a different network than the PC.

If so, that would explain everything you're describing; link lights on the hub would show a good connection, but the XP box would not see any WAP/laptop traffic, as none would be coming across the same logical network.

What are the IP addresses and subnet masks of both computers?