Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #31  
I'd say it's just marketing, after all the higher number you attract to a product automatically makes it better.
If the down stream device has n300 wifi + 2x 100 ethernet = 500, at least that how I understand how they come up with the number.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out
I'd say it's just marketing, after all the higher number you attract to a product automatically makes it better.
If the down stream device has n300 wifi + 2x 100 ethernet = 500, at least that how I understand how they come up with the number.
... but that's what they claim comes out the far end of the 'pipe'. It must be magic to get that out the far end when the input end uses 100 Mbps electronic circuits.

The good news is my desktop pc at the far end of a PoE link indicates 100Mbps connect speed through this 70 year old house wiring. So the technology seems solid.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #33  
... but that's what they claim comes out the far end of the 'pipe'. It must be magic to get that out the far end when the input end uses 100 Mbps electronic circuits.

The good news is my desktop pc at the far end of a PoE link indicates 100Mbps connect speed through this 70 year old house wiring. So the technology seems solid.

your desktop has no idea what speed your powerline link is, the speed its reporting is its connection from the desktop to the poe pluged into the wall.

you need to run a software utility package, which will find the Powerline links, that software will indicate what speed the Poweline actually is

also POE is the wrong term, that stands for Power over Ethernet, which is not what your running here

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #34  
Marketing is all about the magic, almost burst out laughing when a sales guy told me that a n600 router had a more powerful signal than n300.

I have a question about EOP I've been unable to find the answer to, my house and garage have separate services but are fed from the same transformer. I realize that there are two 120v feeds and they need to be on the same one to communicate provided the distance is with in range,Will EOP work in this senecio?

your desktop has no idea what speed your powerline link is, the speed its reporting is its connection from the desktop to the poe pluged into the wall.

you need to run a software utility package, which will find the Powerline links, that software will indicate what speed the Poweline actually is

also POE is the wrong term, that stands for Power over Ethernet, which is not what your running here
Oops. EoP. I've corrected myself several times in this thread before posting. That one I missed. I see you like "poe pluged into the wall" too. :)

It makes sense that the reported speed is merely the connection speed at the pc/receiver interface, not the transmitted speed.

Any suggestions for a EoP speed diagnostic?

(Home in town). Speedtest on my phone a foot from the FTTN router: 27 ms ping, 21.62 Mbps download.
Speedtest on my desktop at the far end of the house via wired EoP link: 28 ms ping, 22.96 Mbps download.

Conclusion: this EoP link is providing output @ 100% of the speed fed into it.

I have a question about EOP I've been unable to find the answer to, my house and garage have separate services but are fed from the same transformer. I realize that there are two 120v feeds and they need to be on the same one to communicate provided the distance is with in range,Will EOP work in this senecio?
I think its worth trying if the devices are returnable.

I initially set up mine via the web interface and didn't realize it wasn't secure. When I started it up and looked to see what was accessible I saw several other EoP systems nearby, similar to how you see your neigbors' Wireless routers. In addition to me I see only three neighbors served from the transformer behind my house so I wondered if I saw neighbors on the next transformer too. That doesn't seem likely but there were sure a lot of routers that came up. Maybe some cable routers have EoP built in?

Do the overhead powerlines ever have cables at 240v down to the next pole and tied to the next transformer, in contrast to each transformer isolated? Seems to me it might be wired that way when a drop is needed from mid-span between poles. Anybody know?

Your garage outlet will be on a single 120v side of the 240 volts served. You might have to try various outlets in the house to find one on the same side as the garage.

So I think its worth experimenting assuming the devices are returnable. YMMV.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #37  
If you can see your neighbours then it should work for my application, I do know that the signal will not pass thru a transformer.

/ Wireless routers cascaded, Ethernet in / Wifi out #38  
How do you like those eop? What speeds will they do?

At work we have HDMI over ethernet

How do you like those eop? What speeds will they do?

My origin and destination are on different legs coming off of the electric panel, one leg installed 1943 and the other 1988 - so it isn't an ideal clean setup.

Actual measured results:

(Home in town). Speedtest on my phone at the origin, wifi a foot from the FTTN router: 27 ms ping, 21.62 Mbps download.
Speedtest on my desktop 40 ft away at the far end of the house through wired EoP link: 28 ms ping, 22.96 Mbps download.

Conclusion: this EoP link is providing output @ 100% of the speed fed into it.

I don't have any better data but with speed out = speed in, I'm happy.

I suspect theoretical maximum for these would be 100 Mbps less overhead so maybe 90 ? Mbps practical maximum over clean powerlines.

They sell gigabit versions which should be faster.

my house and garage have separate services but are fed from the same transformer. ...Will EOP work in this senecio?
One more thought: By all means get the 4220 kit that I linked on post#1 as your first sender/receiver pair. Its receiver includes a Wifi transmitter in addition to the Ethernet cable ports.