wiring problem

/ wiring problem #1  

Leonandangel

I hope someone out there might be able to tell me what my problem might be! I have the ym 177. My problem is the glow plug indicator will not light up, thus not heating the plugs, in turn will not start ( one problem after another) My neighbor came over and we traced the problem down to the switch! SO WE THOUGHT. I replaced the switch and it will still not heat up. could this be the glow plugs? If so is there any way to test them. The way we tested them was to make sure that they ohm which they did. but on American tractors there is a ground wire that goes from the last plug to ground. Mine does not have this wire! I have tried to put one on but I am still getting the same results any suggestions???

/ wiring problem #2  
Connect a voltmeter to the wire at the glowplug.
Activate the TS and see if you get 12 volts at that point.
No juice= bad wiring/circuit/fuse.
Juice at the glowplug= bad glow plug or not grounded completely because of corrosion, etc.

/ wiring problem #3  
To test glow plugs in the past, I removed them and then using a battery charge gave them 12 volts to see if they heated up. BE CAREFUL! They get real hot real quick. They will glow cherry red when they heat up.

/ wiring problem #4  
One thing to remember.. glow plugs and thermostart are a starting aid . The machine should start ( albiet harder ) without them. If it won't start period without thermal aid.. look to other causes. The engine compression may be marginal, and or starter is slow / dragging, or valve timing is off.. or valvetrain needs work.. etc..

Soundguy

/ wiring problem #5  
My experience with engines with glow plugs is that if it has glow plugs they need to be used every time you start the engine. The glow indicator is usually a resistor in the system. If it is bad the glow plugs will not work.

/ wiring problem #6  
Sounds like you have your hands full with this tractor. Bad exhaust manifold, won't start, etc. A learning experience for sure. I hope you didn't pay a lot for it.