Wiring to shed from house question

/ Wiring to shed from house question #81  
my thoughts exactly. that 1000 feet is totally utilities cost to repair

This has been my position but from stubborness on my part... I am not versed at all in the ways of PSE in Washington State.

Home is all electric with 400 amp service... I have had tenants with $$$ 1,000 January electric bill and I have had under $300... amazing the difference between individuals regarding comfort... I'm fine with 66-68 daytime and much cooler at night.

The tenant with the $1,000 monthly bill said his wife can't stand anything below 76...

/ Wiring to shed from house question #82  
This has been my position but from stubborness on my part... I am not versed at all in the ways of PSE in Washington State.

Home is all electric with 400 amp service... I have had tenants with $$$ 1,000 January electric bill and I have had under $300... amazing the difference between individuals regarding comfort... I'm fine with 66-68 daytime and much cooler at night.

The tenant with the $1,000 monthly bill said his wife can't stand anything below 76...
yeiks. Our winter elec5 bills are about 150 ish. Id freak at a 1000 bill myself. Tell her to move to florida

/ Wiring to shed from house question #83  
Regarding: "I can't see the need for 400 amp service in a non-commercial setting."

I have a 4,000 sq ft residence and the large 200a panel is stuffed full of breakers with only one slot left. I am remodeling next year to a 5,600 ft residence and adding a pool. Plans already drawn, permit already obtained.

My architect said to add the garage/shop plus add a pool I was required to upgrade the main service to 400a. And the electrician said its not really 400 as you can only use 80% of rating. So at 80%, I went from 160 useable amps to 320.

(btw, my former residence was 4,856 sq ft, with three HVAC systems. It also had 400a service.)

Necrobump

Yup, same here.

House is 4200sqft and my garage is 1000sqft with a couple deep freezers, two HVAC, etc. Our family is growing, so the load will only increase. We also have a large pool going in as well as a 50x30 shop that will have a pool house with A/C, lights, plugs, etc. I'll be welding and there will be a lift, air compressor, a Kranzle pressure washer that needs a dedicated 20amp as well as a ton of lighting, reverse osmosis system and the ability to run certain power tools without pulling too much load.

/ Wiring to shed from house question #84  
I realize this is last years thread and the OP is probably done with his project, but since this has popped up, one more thing to consider is the amperage of the meter itself.

I wanted to use just one meter for all my buildings, but I have a 200 amp meter and run 100A to shop, 100A to wifes studio, and 60A to pump house/RV site. Then I built our house. After a long discussion with builder, electrician, and utility company - it was pointed out that the meter will only handle 200 amps and that the choice was to go with a 2nd meter or redo everything from the transformer to the sub panels in the buildings. (the main panel is pole mounted with underground conduit from there with longest run being 165'). So I now have 2 meters which cost me an extra $12 per month which is a lot cheaper than redoing the electric runs.

/ Wiring to shed from house question #85  
Who's your power delivery company?

Oncor told me that if I go over 10kW that I would get locked into the $30 base fee and it wouldn't come back down if I used less.

EDIT: Oncor is going to upgrade my lines and my meter for free to jump to the 400A.

/ Wiring to shed from house question #86  
I built a garage/office in 2000. I placed a separate meter and have never regretted it. This allows A/C and heat as well as a freezer and hot water heater. I probably stay up there more than I do at the house. My bill is usually around $30.00 a month

I too, built a garage in 2000 and added another meter for the garage. That is the best way to go . My garage began as a garage and then became my office while working at home. Recently we re partitioned the inner walls and created a guest house/garage. Adding a separate meter for you building will give you more options if you want to make changes.