Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees?

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #11  
Use your pallet forks and if you don't have them buy a set, you just paid for them. When we planted our trees that is how we did it. Just tack welded together makes a nice neat hole. Works here with the clay soil if your in sand.... maybe not so much.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #12  
What is the average diameter of the root balls?

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #13  
A bucket spade makes for a good ghetto backhoe. Paumco Products Quick Spade Combo — Model# 1101-Quick Spade | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment at $200-300 it will get the job done at a reasonable price. I actually use Paumco Products Quick Spade — Model# 1100-Quick Spade | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment on my pallet forks on my 32hp 3,500lbs Kubota L3200. Amusingly one of my main uses is planting our Christmas trees. We get live potted ones about 6' tall & plant em after Christmas. It takes me 5-10 minutes with my HST to dig the hole. Recently I used the spade to dig up a cut downspout line. It was buried a foot down & it took me maybe a half hour to dig out 20'. Nowhere near as effective as a backhoe, but at a tiny fraction of the price it gets the job done.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #14  
Found a photo from a previous tree planting...

IMG_20131224_130200.jpg

If I had my PHD & the 12" auger already mounted, I'd still probably bust out the bucket spade. I might start the hole with the PHD, but it would still need some digging to get big enough to plant a tree. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of hooking up the PHD if it wasn't already on the tractor though.

When back dragging with the forks pointed straight down clearing out the trench for the drain line, I did bend the bottom lip of the frame. No damage to the spade or fork, but I had to heat & beat that lip back into shape. A lot of stress doing in a direction pallet forks aren't designed to be stressed when doing that back dragging operation trying to essentially plow out the trench. Not a big deal, but I won't be doing that again, at least without the loader in float next time.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #15  
I have always just used a post hole digger with the largest bit I could and dug deeper than required. then used a shovel by hand to widen out top to proper width letting the dirt fall in to the extra deep hole. However that bucket/fork spade looks like great option.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #16  
When back dragging with the forks pointed straight down clearing out the trench for the drain line, I did bend the bottom lip of the frame. No damage to the spade or fork, but I had to heat & beat that lip back into shape. A lot of stress doing in a direction pallet forks aren't designed to be stressed when doing that back dragging operation trying to essentially plow out the trench. Not a big deal, but I won't be doing that again, at least without the loader in float next time.

Lots have bent curl rods or popped curl hoses trying to back drag with the bucket curled down. Those forks add a bit more leverage. I'd say you are lucky you bent the frame.

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #18  
In the middle of a construction project at work that involves planting around 50 trees. I was surprised at the amount of excavation the "pros" do in planting 7' trees. The landscape architect mentioned in one meeting that the worst thing you can do is auger a 36" hole and set the root ball in it. Of course, the soil is eastern Kentucky clay which will just hold water and drown the tree.

I mention this to agree with the methods suggested already that involve excavating/loosening more soil.

Good luck!

/ Without a hoe, can a 1023e help me plant trees? #19  
Nothing digs better than an excavator

Rent a small one

Be amazed how much work you can do with an excavator