WIX Air Filters

/ WIX Air Filters #1  

ksshooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
I purchased a WIX 46438 to replace the outer Air filter on my 2006 TC30 and after pulling off the old outer I cannot get the filter case back together using the WIX filter. It has a small round bulge on the top of the filter which is higher than the old filter if I sit them side by side on the workbench. Do I have to replace the inner and outer with WIX to get it to fit? I guess it is possible that the inner WIX is slightly shorter than the factory. Thanks in advance for the assistance.:thumbsup:

/ WIX Air Filters #2  
A bulge doesn't sound good.

I am looking at filters for my 4000 ford and have found 3 outer and 2 inner, all different lengths?
Some fit these tractors, some fit those tractors with the 4000 in all listings?

Perhaps take both filters back and see if another matches better

DS

/ WIX Air Filters
A bulge doesn't sound good.

I am looking at filters for my 4000 ford and have found 3 outer and 2 inner, all different lengths?
Some fit these tractors, some fit those tractors with the 4000 in all listings?

Perhaps take both filters back and see if another matches better

DS
The "bulge" on the outer is more like a half donut on top of the filter. Definitely put there on purpose. My choice of words may be poor but I could not think of a good word for the opposite to indentation :(

I have not purchased the Inner yet! Probably stop by there on the way home to pick it up if I do not get a definitive answer here. It's another $30 with tax. If they don't fit as a set, then they will be returned as a set.

I was hoping to hear from someone else had tried to replace "just the outer filter".

/ WIX Air Filters #4  
Most of my experience with equipment is oil bath.

But its my understanding inner is replaced far less often.

If its made different enough that it takes a different inner. They should say so and have different part numbers.
That's why i say take your old one.
The impression i have is it got squashed a bit?

DS

ps Protrusion

/ WIX Air Filters
Protrusion...very good!!
My experience is also with oil bath because all my prior equipment was late 50s early 60s.
Yes, the inner is replaced less often, hence that is why I only bought it since the inner had supposedly been replaced by the previous owner at 300 hours.
I agree that if it is not a one-to-one replacement it should not be listed that way. The old inner (have not seen the new one yet) has "protrusions" :thumbsup: on the top. This may stop the new outer from seating deep enough. Once I pick up the new inner and take it home I will find out, but I was hoping to not have to get it as: 1. it does not need one yet 2. I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $30 and 3. I really don't want to have to make another trip to return the two (spelled "hassle").
If I end up picking up the new inner I will certainly post my findings on this little foray! Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.:thumbsup:

/ WIX Air Filters #6  
I purchased a WIX 46438 to replace the outer Air filter on my 2006 TC30 and after pulling off the old outer I cannot get the filter case back together using the WIX filter. It has a small round bulge on the top of the filter which is higher than the old filter if I sit them side by side on the workbench. Do I have to replace the inner and outer with WIX to get it to fit? I guess it is possible that the inner WIX is slightly shorter than the factory. Thanks in advance for the assistance.:thumbsup:

The owners manual should give you a recommendation about the replacement interval for the inner filter. They are not replaced as often a the outer filter. Many of the outer filters can atually be washed after being blown out and reused as long as they are not torn. I would only replace the inner filter earlier if the outer got damaged and let some dirt get past outer filter.

/ WIX Air Filters #7  
This may or may not help but are you sure that the WIX number is the correct cross / match for the NH part #?

If you crossed it yourself and are sure, then I have no answer

If a parts guy, or some kid outta high school or college who has no clue and is milking out a job at the local parts store looked it up, I would recheck it to make sure it is the correct match.

Here is WIX's cross reference page:

WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up

Sometimes the cross could have been superceded 2 or 3 times and may, possibly, be a tad off

/ WIX Air Filters
Input appreciated Yooper1. I gave the guy the part number from my WIX website printout for the outer filter. However, I don't recall if I confirmed he grabbed the part the part number I asked for:eek:. All this will happen this evening. I will be out of touch tomorrow. But I will check back in when as soon as I know what I am talking about :D

/ WIX Air Filters
I purchased and installed the WIX inner filter. It's tight, but it fits! I believe the combined size of the filter pair is the same, but if you mix the WIX with the factory (at least I believe the installed one is the factory part) it would not work for me. The filters are definitely different heights than the ones that were installed when you sit them side by side. But since I did not purchase the filters that were installed when I purchased the tractor. So, bottom line I cannot state anything for certain about the compatibility between factory and WIX. But now that I have WIX, I will just stay there.:D