Wk shop lighting redo

/ Wk shop lighting redo #1  

Gitche Gumee Kid

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 284
My workshop (26'x32') needs a refit of the existing lighting system (ten 8' -double tube T12 fluorescent fixtures )
I'm tired of replacing ballasts.

I was in a small retail shop the other day and their lighting system consisted of very large CFL bulbs.So bright you couldn't look at them.

Any suggestions ? TIA

GGK

/ Wk shop lighting redo #2  
I run 4 ft T5 fixtures in a 12 ft. ceiling shop, works great.

E/S

/ Wk shop lighting redo #3  
I have 12-14 T8 work type lights in a metal 25x40 building. Not real sure that it was enough, so I added 2 outdoor type metal halide(?) . They really brightened things up. --Getting older, really like more light to be able to see. Not sure what I would replace the T8's with, and I have replaced several lights and ballasts, the work type lights are cheap, probably designed to be disposable, but I have replaced several ballasts just to see if the replacement would last longer. SO, the fluorescent comes on fast, metal halide warms up slower but is brighter. I also use several "point of use" lights. Another trick I use is I have a night light plugged in beside the light switches, makes things easier to find in the messy dark.

/ Wk shop lighting redo #4  
My workshop (26'x32') needs a refit of the existing lighting system (ten 8' -double tube T12 fluorescent fixtures )
I'm tired of replacing ballasts.

I was in a small retail shop the other day and their lighting system consisted of very large CFL bulbs.So bright you couldn't look at them.

Any suggestions ? TIA

GGK

Welcome to my world.

I've 4 workshops:
415879d1425951510-wk-shop-lighting-redo-outside-shops-jpg

with ceilings ranging from 8' to 14'. And about 30 8' T12's and a lot of 4' T12's , all with failing ballasts.

As of this writing I'd recommend some sort of LED if you can get them on sale. A month ago I would have recommended T5's.

I've tried the 4' T5's HO offered by Home Depot and they are good but bulb selection from HD was limited.

BUT then HD offered their Commercial-Electric-4-ft-LED-White-Shop-Light for $25 w/ free shipping (it was a price mistake in Boston area) and Costco offered a 4' light for $32 http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/329656-4-led-shop-lights-32-a.html.

I bought 5 of the HD and 2 of the Costco. They are both great and put out about as much light as a 4' 2 bulb T8. These put out slightly less than 100 lumen per watt.

BUT then just today I stumbled across a 2013 press release for Phillips stating 200 lumen per watt. That's about 4 times the lumen per watt of flourescent.

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/pwc_nc/main/design/resources/pdf/Inside-Innovation-Backgrounder-Lumens-per-Watt.pdf

so right now my $$ is on LED, but I don't know what exactly it will be.

Cree announced 200 lumens per watt a year ago with projected product between now and February 2016. When it gets to shop lighting is a guess. Cree Sheds Light on Development of a 200-Lumen-per-Watt Luminaire Prototype - Architectural Lighting Magazine

I'm getting older and need BRIGHT lights!

/edit - and I just stumbled across this amazing bargain - if they actually had any for sale:
Cree TW Series 48 in. T8 32-Watt Cool White (4000K) Dimmable Linear LED Light Bulb (20-Pack)-BT848-17040FLW-BDG13-1C110 - The Home Depot
Cree Model # BT848-17040FLW-BDG13-1C110
TW Series 48 in. T8 32-Watt Cool White (4000K) Dimmable Linear LED Light Bulb (20-Pack) $69.88 OOS

Then I went to Ebay - The Costco lights (remember - Sale price $32, normal $40) are being offered for $60 EACH on the average, many with the pic from the Costco ad! The HD light I bought for $25 (egular $40) is being offered for $99!!

Attachments

• outside-shops.jpg
    outside-shops.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
   / Wk shop lighting redo #5  
I also have four 8 foot florescent lights in my shop and want to replace them with something else. I'm always replacing bulbs, or living with one or two of them not working. My long term goal is to cover my rafters with metal and spray insulation in there. Then install something else for lights. I'm in no hurry, but sooner or later it's going to get to the point where I will have to do something. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Eddie

/ Wk shop lighting redo #6  
We have had tons new cheap T8 ballasts fail. Mostly in fixtures bought from TSC on sale. One friend lost half a dozen alone when his compressor started one day.

Many electronic ballasts cause huge amounts of RFI. A real problem if you like a radio playing!

I built a good sized shop three years ago and still just have temporary lighting. I was going to go with twenty or so T&B vapour tight T8 fixtures. Quite expensive! But have decided just to hold off, and eventually go LED when the prices come down.

/ Wk shop lighting redo #7  
I'd like to have LED lights but I've currently installed 4 foot T8 lights in my pole barn. I have 26 of them. I bought almost all of them from Menards on sale. They periodically have these for a net cost of about $10 after the rebates. They are cold start T8/T12 fixtures. How is the quality? They work. I've had them for 3 to 4 years and so far 2 have failed. Not perfect but my investment is really low.

/ Wk shop lighting redo #8  
I have 8 fixtures in shop, 6 in the barn and 10 in the carriage barn. Their all high output t12 8 foot fixtures. I cant justify just ripping them all out as they work fine. I would like more efficient fixtures, but will have to replace them as they go bad.

Mind you my shop is about 14 years old, and ive only replaced 2 light bulbs. The barn is 12 years old with orriginal lamps and the carriage barn is about 9 years old.. All original

Do i dont forsee the need to do anything right now

/ Wk shop lighting redo #9  
I put two LED lights (11,000 lumens) in the 40x40 side of my barn, and was pretty shocked with how much light they give off. The other side of the building is where I'll do most serious work, so I'm using more lights there, but I think ultimately I'll wind up with 4 of these lights for the 40x40 space. Here's a picture I took right around midnight after I finished running the wires, 2 and 3-way switches etc. Not too bad for only two lights...there are some shadows, etc, but I think most of those will be gone when I add the other two lights. The trusses are 13' to the bottom, so the lights are around 12' high.

Lithonia Lighting 2 ft. White LED High Bay Light-IBH 11L MV - The Home Depot

/ Wk shop lighting redo #10  
I bought 10 LED 4' shop lights for my barn, have not put them up yet. Have put 2 in the garage and 4 in the basement. they are nice, and instant on in cold weather.