Wonder how much damage I did?

/ Wonder how much damage I did?
Jim, yeah I read it, AFTER I smoked the tiller. I wish I knew of a site to download manuals for Yanmar tillers. Whatever, if the clutch was slipping as it broke up the sod, seems like the bolts need tightening, doesn't it??

/ Wonder how much damage I did? #13  
I don't know about Yanmar tillers but basically all slip clutches should be about the same. I've smoked the clutch on a bush hog lots of times and only had to replace it once in the last 15 years. There's usually a lot of wear in the fibre slip plates. If you can see that they're still there, I'd just tighten the screws and take it out for a test drive to see what happens.

Breaking virgin soil to it's full depth can be pretty hard work for a tiller. If you can't plow or break it up before hand, set the tiller for a couple of inches on the first pass and drop it a couple of inches on each subsequent pass. Three passes should be enough. That'll be much easier on your all your equipment.

Take it slow and easy.

/ Wonder how much damage I did? #14  
Tdog,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Whatever, if the clutch was slipping as it broke up the sod, seems like the bolts need tightening, doesn't it?? )</font>

I agree that it needs to be adjusted to slip less.

There are at least two slip clutch designs. The one on my rough cut mower would require tightening the bolts. I loosen them every spring and make sure that the clutch facings are not stuck to the steel plates. Then I tighten and measure the space between two plates with metric drill bit as a gauge to get it set correctly. The manual provides the dimension for the adjustment.

On my tiller, which has a Walterscheid clutch, tightening the bolts releases the clutch. I tighten them every spring and make sure that the clutch facings are not stuck to the steel plates. Then I loosen them to allow the clutch to engage.

You might want to spend a few minutes determining how it works before changing the adjustment. If it is the type that you tighten the bolts to reduce slippage, make a note of the current distance between the two plates before you move anything. Also, verify that it is adjusted evenly at all adjustment points. If it were loose on one side, I suspect that it would tend to slip.