Won't Start after shut down

/ Won't Start after shut down #11  
Yes I did. Looks like the battery was low. I guess running the heater and all the lights is too much for it. I didn't have my battery charger over where the tractor is so I'll go over after and charge it and let it run for a while at high idle to charge it up fully. I had this same issue last year but that was because it was a 15 year old battery I had in it. I didn't even consider the battery because it is fairly new.

If you have a bit of time you can rejuvenate that tired battery. If it's a maitenance free battery with no holes or plugs visible, then the battery probably has dried out. Feel around on top of the battery till you feel six circles in a straight line lengthwise on the top. Peel back the plastic label. The plugs either pop out with a small screwdriver or actually unscrew and has a rubber O right to keep them from leaking.

If the battery is 15 years old then it probably needs replacement so a bit of experientation won't hurt. Open the plugs and look inside with a flashlight. Low to no water in one or more cells. A whitish color inside is a sign of a sulphated battery which coats the lead plates and greatly reduces charge capacity. I took two tired batteries what where main Free and brought them back to usable life. I was saving them to use on a new battery exchange. I saw a bunch of videos on Youtube where people took "epson salt" aka magnesium sulfate and distilled water and removed the sulfate from the batteries. To my suprise it worked on both batteries. Basically the salts react with the sulfate in the battery and converts it back to sulfuric acid and clears enough plates to bring a dying battery back to a usuable state. Google "how to fix a maintenance free battery" OR.. If you don't want to bother just buy another one.

/ Won't Start after shut down
The Kid. Sorry I forgot to state I put a new battery in it last spring because the old one finally went. It is working fine now. The alternator is working fine.

Last edited:
   / Won't Start after shut down #13  
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Have you checked that the alternator is putting out the correct amperage? If it is, then you may be able to get a larger alternator to cover the load you are putting on the battery.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

/ Won't Start after shut down
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Have you checked that the alternator is putting out the correct amperage? If it is, then you may be able to get a larger alternator to cover the load you are putting on the battery.

I checked every thing and its reading good. As long as it starts and runs I'm happy. This was the first time I used the heater and all the lights. It was a little to much. I know the alternator is able to keep up with the heater and head light draw but not both plus 2 other lights up on top the cab.

/ Won't Start after shut down #15  
I checked every thing and its reading good. As long as it starts and runs I'm happy. This was the first time I used the heater and all the lights. It was a little to much. I know the alternator is able to keep up with the heater and head light draw but not both plus 2 other lights up on top the cab.
Time for a larger alternator, or maybe swtch to LED lighting to keep your amperage draw equal to or less than the amperage that the alternator puts out.

/ Won't Start after shut down #16  
It may make little difference here, but I'm not certain that the 1020 actually uses an alternator either. I think some were made with generators. I know my 1010 was, and I see references to both in my manuals.