Won't take grease

/ Won't take grease #11  
Hanging around garages as a kid I remembered seeing a little pencil-shaped device that filled with penetrating oil, got snapped on a zerk, and was tapped with a small ball peen until the oil was forced through the crud to free the grease joint. I bought one two years ago - search under "grease fitting rejuvenator" - to try on a frozen pin. I found it works good on fittings that haven't been frozen forever.

All the other suggestions listed are good - in fact I'm going to try RickB's idea about driving the pin out part way to reveal the plugged cross-drill on the bottom pivot pin of my 416 Cat. First I'm going to visit the dealer to see where the drill hole is on a new pin.

My friend up the road (equipment operator for 50+ years) left me his fix for the plugged pivot pin in a small brown bag. He told me to take out the zerk, clean out the hole, and drop one of these little cylinders into the hole. Then extend the two little wires on it to someplace behind something heavy and touch them to two battery posts. That's how he used to clear pins on his old dragline. I'm going to try plan RickB first.

/ Won't take grease #12  
If you replace the zerk and it still won't take grease, my old trick is to take a 3" drywall screw and screw it into the threaded hole. It's smaller than the threaded hole so it won't mess up your threads.
Usually the drywall screw will actually thread into the old crud. Then grab the head of the screw and pull it out quickly. The screw threads will have lots of old dried-up grease on them. Then spray lots of crud cutter in the hole.

Rinse & repeat. :D

My leaf spring mounting pins on my IH are frozen beyond repair. They won't take grease. I think I've tried everything. :(

/ Won't take grease #13  
Builder said:
My leaf spring mounting pins on my IH are frozen beyond repair. They won't take grease. I think I've tried everything. :(

Ox/Ac torch?

Remove zerk, heat the snickers out of it, drive the pin out - clean and replace. replace zerk and grease it like mad.

/ Won't take grease #14  
john_bud said:
Ox/Ac torch?

Remove zerk, heat the snickers out of it, drive the pin out - clean and replace. replace zerk and grease it like mad.

The zerks were removed way back when I got the truck. They weren't the problem. The cross drilled holes are filled with rust. :mad:

Torch no worky on rust. :(

Danielson must drive out pin and redrill. :D

/ Won't take grease #15  
When I've run into this I've always had luck taking any kind of weight off the joint. You might try using the air hose if there is no seal to be broken. But don't use any kind of flame heat, you will just warp your joint. If your blow gun has rubber tip you might be able to remove some of the harden grease.