wood briquets vs. standard cord wood?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #21  
A face cord is 1/3rd the volume of a full cord.

Only if the length of the stick is 16". "Face Cord" by itself is a meaningless term since it does NOT define the volume. That is why most regs that deal with firewood sales specifically state that the term "face cord" is not to be used. It is actually grounds for a complaint to the W&M guys if they regulate it in your area.

Harry K

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #22  
Only if the length of the stick is 16". "Face Cord" by itself is a meaningless term since it does NOT define the volume. That is why most regs that deal with firewood sales specifically state that the term "face cord" is not to be used. It is actually grounds for a complaint to the W&M guys if they regulate it in your area.

Harry K

It is also illegal in Ohio, so is a rick. All wood is to be sold by the cord or parts of a cord. ie half or third cord.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #23  
Rick - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
definition of rick
1: a stack (as of hay) in the open air

2: a pile of material (as cordwood) split from short logs

Face cord - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Definition of FACE CORD
: a unit of wood cut for fuel equal to a stack 4 feet by 8 feet with lengths of pieces from about 12 to 16 inches

In my area "face cord" is used and means 4ft by 8ft by the agreed upon length, usually 14 to 16 inches. Seems to fit th dictionary definition. The more important point is that buyer and seller have the same thing in mind. Just had this conversation with a friend from Kansas who has always used "rick" and just today as I traveled near Hot Springs, Arkansas a sign in someone's yard stated wood rick/face cord for sale.

The problem with a rick or face cord is that the volume is not specified as it is with a cord.

Loren

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #24  
The pressed wood bricks have a lower moisture content than even seasoned cordwood and their uniform size means they stack very efficiently so they take up a lot less room than cord wood which is irregular. But you have to be close to the manufacturer.

And another thing, don't try storing them outside under a cheap tarp. If they actually get wet, they swell up dramatically, absorbing a huge amount of water, like fiberboard. With the swelling they get unstable and the stack is likely to fall over onto your nearby prized possessions. I have seen this happen at TSC. So far the local TSC's have refused to sell them by the pallet, which any serious person needs, but by the package instead for a pretty hefty price. So of course they don't move fast and got left outside...

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #25  
definition of rick

Definition of FACE CORD
: a unit of wood cut for fuel equal to a stack 4 feet by 8 feet with lengths of pieces from about 12 to 16 inches

In my area "face cord" is used and means 4ft by 8ft by the agreed upon length, usually 14 to 16 inches. Seems to fit th dictionary definition. The more important point is that buyer and seller have the same thing in mind. Just had this conversation with a friend from Kansas who has always used "rick" and just today as I traveled near Hot Springs, Arkansas a sign in someone's yard stated wood rick/face cord for sale.

The problem with a rick or face cord is that the volume is not specified as it is with a cord.

Loren

Not saying there's no such word, I'm saying it is illegal to sell by the face cord.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #26  
definition of rick

Definition of FACE CORD

Loren

The _real_ problem is that it is not a legal measure and is specifically banned in many states.

Harry K

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #27  
A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet.

Having used both cord wood and bricks, bricks win. Less labor, much less mess to clean up and a very clean burn, i.e. little or no creosote or soot. That said I now have a mini split to heat my workshop/garage with bricks as backup although I own a 10 hectare woodlot. Getting too old to play in woods and all else that goes with readying for winter.
In my area a pallet is 960 bricks and $200.00.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #28  
It's a rediculous meade up measure originally by scammers short changing customers.

This. A cord is 128 cubic feet of stacked, split firewood. That's official. A "face cord" is a made-up unit of volume that has no consistent definition. If you want to buy wood by the face cord, make sure you ask the seller exactly what that means to him. Much of the time, what it actually means is, "I'll stack some wood for you, and if you don't like how much it is, you can stuff yourself." Because the definition of face cord is inconsistent, it's hard to evaluate whether you're getting a fair price from somebody who sells that way.

Other BS made-up units of firewood sale include, "rick," "pickup bed load," and "long-pickup-bed-load". A professional seller may know that his truck load is a certain fraction of a cord, but he should still be willing to sell it to you by the cord. And if you stack it and it doesn't add up to 128 cubic feet, he should make good.

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood?
Having used both cord wood and bricks, bricks win. Less labor, much less mess to clean up and a very clean burn, i.e. little or no creosote or soot./QUOTE]

Thanks Norm for your experience and Westcliffe about keeping them out of the elements. Kinda figured if you get these things wet they are pretty much useless.

You guys who burn these can you load the fireplace up with them to get the burn time longer to last through the night? Like take 6 of them and stack them tightly to make a larger square so they burn more slowly than randomly toss them in?

/ wood briquets vs. standard cord wood? #30  
I believe that the instructions are to pack them tightly. If you pack them loose, they burn faster and you may have difficulty controlling the burn rate (similar to how a loosely packed load of kiln dried pine would go up). Start with a smaller qty like 4, pack them tightly onto a bed of coals. Once you have learned how the burn cycle works, then you can begin adding more at one time without things getting out of hand.