Wood Chipper

/ Wood Chipper #11  
Wow, that is a big chipper seen on the back of a BX. I was thinking of running a chipper on the back of my L3700, but you think it would be OK on the back of my BX-1850? At 1600 bucks and free shipping and if it performs as you say, I might go ahead and try it. It's just for my property and not commercial work. I don't necessarily want to keep Amish Canadians employed at 5K a pop.

The Bx1860 might be a little underpowered, but you also don't have to max out at 6" on that on either and will probably do many jobs. Chipper is heavy but the TPH will lift it. I always have my loader on when I use my chipper, besides where else do you put the saws and cooler? $5K was way too steep for me as I already put good money into a orange tractor. I am really pro North American made where possible, but on this one and level of use I intended, I decided to go this way. Another factor was the ability to broadcast the chips overhead and back into the woods was a plus that I was having difficulty finding at the time. I was just out in the shop and saw the date on the unit and I have had it over 5 years. Very satisfied- No regrets, and I have chipped way beyond my initial expectations, pushing it quite a few times doing Storm damage clearing over the past couple of years.

I have used this on a 22hp BX and now my 25.5hp BX. Worked well on both chipping up to 6". Definitely noticed the additional power of the newer tractor though. Now on the other hand this thing should be a monster on your L3700!

/ Wood Chipper
The Bx1860 might be a little underpowered, but you also don't have to max out at 6" on that on either and will probably do many jobs. Chipper is heavy but the TPH will lift it. I always have my loader on when I use my chipper, besides where else do you put the saws and cooler? $5K was way too steep for me as I already put good money into a orange tractor. I am really pro North American made where possible, but on this one and level of use I intended, I decided to go this way. Another factor was the ability to broadcast the chips overhead and back into the woods was a plus that I was having difficulty finding at the time. I was just out in the shop and saw the date on the unit and I have had it over 5 years. Very satisfied- No regrets, and I have chipped way beyond my initial expectations, pushing it quite a few times doing Storm damage clearing over the past couple of years.

I have used this on a 22hp BX and now my 25.5hp BX. Worked well on both chipping up to 6". Definitely noticed the additional power of the newer tractor though. Now on the other hand this thing should be a monster on your L3700!

Thanks Tim. I appreciate it. As you may have noticed others that haven't used the product implied it was junk. $1,600 compared to $5,000 is a big difference.

/ Wood Chipper #13  
Thanks Tim. I appreciate it. As you may have noticed others that haven't used the product implied it was junk. $1,600 compared to $5,000 is a big difference.

If you have a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) by your place, you can look at the same chipper and it will cost more than the price you are looking at.

/ Wood Chipper #14  
I studied long and hard before buying the Jinma. One point, is be sure it is a Jinma. The only thing worse than a Chinese tool, is a knockoff of a Chinese tool. I have had mine many years, doing just what you say you will do. I made all the improvements on the list. Most I figured out before I read about them. I am totally happy with mine , FOR THE PRICE. It is way below perfect. If you run it yourself and don't loan it to some cowboy, you Probably will be as happy as I am. If you aren't a mechanic, don't even start this project. Even with the upgrades they have made since I got mine, they take tinkering and keeping everything adjusted.

/ Wood Chipper #15  
Wow, that is a big chipper seen on the back of a BX. I was thinking of running a chipper on the back of my L3700, but you think it would be ok on the back of my BX-1850? At 1600 bucks and free shipping and if it performs as you say, I might go ahead and try it. It's just for my property and not commercial work. I don't necessarily want to keep Amish Canadians employed at 5K a pop.

Ha! ha! me neither! 5K a pop! send that Canadian to the un-employed line. 1600 bux is very good price for a Wood though.

/ Wood Chipper #17  

you can pick up a Wallenstein BX-42 for around $2600 Delivered.

/ Wood Chipper #18  
Bearcat, Woods, Wallenstein, Goosen...for a bit more money, Valby.

I've got a Woods (my particular model is made by Bearcat, sold by Woods). Great chipper!!

/ Wood Chipper #20  
do you have trouble with it clogging? chute clogging?

This model, the 5000, doesn't have a chute. The chips fall below the chipper. There is a kit to add a blower/chute, but for the amount of chipping I do, I can rake out the chips (to a pile) and move them to another location with the loader.
Although the input chute looks awkward to use, it's not and it well suited for 5" material. I've fed smaller trees (5" trunk by 30-35 foot length) with no problems. The shredder (top opening) is good for material up to an inch in diameter as well as brush.
Freshly cut stuff chips OK, but I've found letting the material set for a few days to dry out results in easier chipping.

I bought this off CL for $1000. New cost as shown in the picture is a bit under $3000. For a homeowner with a few acres of trees or a small farm, the Woods (Bearcat) is a nice chipper. You'll want 20 PTO HP minimum to run it. Woods also puts a maximum of 30 PTO HP, but the Bearcat version (same machine) is rated to 40 HP.
BTW, if price was no object, I'd go for a Valby...but for my purposes, this Woods does a great job!!

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 219