Wood Cuttin weather

/ Wood Cuttin weather #1  

blackie65

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410, IH Super M
Highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Looking forward to gettin in the woods this weekend to work on adding to my fuel supply for this upcoming winter! Only concern I have is effecting the deer in the area for local hunters. My thoughts are it won't scare them away too much. Most hunters are out at daybreak and not hunting mid-day. Any comments or thoughts?

/ Wood Cuttin weather #3  
Deer were actually attracted to the skidder when we were working the woods. I swore what trains and firetrucks and excavators are to human kids (and adults for that matter) skidders and chainsaws are to deer.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #4  
I wouldn't worry, deer don't seem to be too concerned with wood cutters!

/ Wood Cuttin weather #5  
Around here a skidder without a gun rack is naked.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #6  
The perception of your neighbor hunters is what might be most important, if their friendship is important to you.
A very exciting part of hunting is the preparation, the anticipation, and the solidarity of the hunt (for me anyway). Getting out on a cool, crisp opening morning to listen for deer and remain silent while the deer move in their own pattern past a well-planned stand makes a great hunt.
If it is opening day, that has been awaited for a year, then whether you really disturb their hunt or not might not matter. Being out there just might.
Myself, I wouldn't think of interrupting their hunt.

But if the season has been open already, then I'd go about the business I have at hand.

Your call, but that you posted the question indicates you are a bit concerned.

/ Wood Cuttin weather #7  
We can't get out to the tamarack swamp until it freezes. We'd sink out of sight. Poplar and birch are accessible, though. Around here, you cut what you can reach.

Joe

/ Wood Cuttin weather #8  
Highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Looking forward to gettin in the woods this weekend to work on adding to my fuel supply for this upcoming winter! Only concern I have is effecting the deer in the area for local hunters. My thoughts are it won't scare them away too much. Most hunters are out at daybreak and not hunting mid-day. Any comments or thoughts?

You're just now cutting for this winter ?

/ Wood Cuttin weather #9  
The perception of your neighbor hunters is what might be most important, if their friendship is important to you.
A very exciting part of hunting is the preparation, the anticipation, and the solidarity of the hunt (for me anyway). Getting out on a cool, crisp opening morning to listen for deer and remain silent while the deer move in their own pattern past a well-planned stand makes a great hunt.
If it is opening day, that has been awaited for a year, then whether you really disturb their hunt or not might not matter. Being out there just might.
Myself, I wouldn't think of interrupting their hunt.

But if the season has been open already, then I'd go about the business I have at hand.

Your call, but that you posted the question indicates you are a bit concerned.

This is an astute observation BT. Perception so often turns into reality no matter what the actual reality is. Sound advice in my mind.

/ Wood Cuttin weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie65 View Post

You're just now cutting for this winter ?

Recently acquired the home with an existing wood chuck furnace. There was some wood already cut and stacked but I have been busy cleaning downed trees and old stumps that were hauled from the woods to the yard. It's going to be a learning experience as to how much wood I am going to need. I'm sure I will need more than I think. I believe that Hickory is a good burning wood as this woods has several hickory's in it and I have been anxious to get a couple that blew down this spring cut up and split. wish me luck