Wood finishing.

/ Wood finishing. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a Colt 1911 made in the 1950s. The grips on it are cheesy looking plastic. I found some scrap walnut in the basement and I have made a set of grips for it. I've got them fitted. Still have some slimming down to do and final sanding. The wood is very pretty but I have no idea how to finish them and don't know anything about finishing wood. I don't think this wood needs stain. Probably just an oil finish of some sort. Anyone know what type of oil? How many applications? Do you sand in between? Any help much appreciated.

/ Wood finishing. #2  
Boiled linseed oil is a traditional finish for gunstocks. The walnut will look really good.

/ Wood finishing. #3  
Tung oil will also work and will bring the grain out very nicely. Sounds fun...good luck.

/ Wood finishing.
Thanks guys. Will look into both of those. Will post pics when I get a chance.

/ Wood finishing. #5  
If you want a natural walnut stain get a back of walnuts in the shell and crack them. Get enough hulls to fit in a half pint jar and soak them in water for a few days.
WALA - natural stain.

/ Wood finishing. #6  
I have a Colt 1911 made in the 1950s. The grips on it are cheesy looking plastic. I found some scrap walnut in the basement and I have made a set of grips for it. I've got them fitted. Still have some slimming down to do and final sanding. The wood is very pretty but I have no idea how to finish them and don't know anything about finishing wood. I don't think this wood needs stain. Probably just an oil finish of some sort. Anyone know what type of oil? How many applications? Do you sand in between? Any help much appreciated.

I have used Tru-oil and Tung oil both on gunstocks and both work pretty well. There is a technique that is used on gunstocks that makes a beautiful stock, but I'm not sure it will lend itself to something as small as pistol grips. The gist of the technique is as follows:

Start with a stock that has been finished sanded.
Dilute your finish at least 50/50 with thinner.
Using 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper, wet sand the stock with the diluted finish added to the stock until the sanding forms a film of finish and debris from the sanding. Do not remove the film.

Let it dry, best over night and then remove with the film with 0000 steel wool.

Repeat the wet sanding and steel wool treatment until the pores in the wood are full. This usually takes a minimum of four times, but usually about 6 times. When the grain is full, you can leave the finish in the dull stage if you want, or you can put a couple coats of fresh thinned finish. Tung oil works well in this regard, as it is a penetrating finish.

/ Wood finishing. #7  
Boiled linseed oil is a traditional finish for gunstocks. The walnut will look really good.

Thumbs up on this one. Traditional finish & will last almost for ever. Wet sand 3, 4, or even 600. Rub oil until it gets warm. Repeat a few times. light sanding in between coats works out well.

Pictures please.

/ Wood finishing. #8  
Thumbs up on this one. Traditional finish & will last almost for ever. Wet sand 3, 4, or even 600. Rub oil until it gets warm. Repeat a few times. light sanding in between coats works out well.

Pictures please.

Watch your cleaning rags. They have been known to spontaneously combust.