Wood preservative for hay wagon.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #1  

Quickster2

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kioti DK45, Rhino FEL
So I've stripped off all my top decking to my hay wagon. The 4X4 cross pieces or joists and the undercarriage wood is in decent shape. I plan to double up and sandwich the "joists" with treated 2X4's on either side and use 5/4 treated decking for the top. My question is what is everyone utilizing for a wood preservative on the untreated wood? I've pressure washed the untreated wood, had two applications of Wash Safe Supreme to kill any mildew, and 1 final pressure wash rinse. I'll let it dry for 3 days before applying some form of wood preservative before installing the new decking. I don't want to do this again for many years. Everything will be screwed together going back in. Thx

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #2  
One issue I have seen with sandwiching anything exposed to the outdoors is that it makes a debri and moisture trap.
As far as a preservative we have used, used motor oil, sometimes diluted with diesel for over 60 years, I can remember
having to brush it on when I was less the 10. A couple of the older hay rakes are from before we started using self unloading
silage wagon (mid 60's) and had false front wagons, they had extensions added to them to be kicker rake wagons and are still used.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon.
One issue I have seen with sandwiching anything exposed to the outdoors is that it makes a debri and moisture trap.
As far as a preservative we have used, used motor oil, sometimes diluted with diesel for over 60 years, I can remember
having to brush it on when I was less the 10. A couple of the older hay rakes are from before we started using self unloading
silage wagon (mid 60's) and had false front wagons, they had extensions added to them to be kicker rake wagons and are still used.
Good point. I plan to seal the top area of the sandwiched portion as well. Unfortunately, my equipment stays outside as the barn is full of my tractor and horse stuff. My other building houses the boat and motorcycles, ATV's, etc. I will be tarping the hay wagon over winter in the future and doing a better job of blowing off all of the residual hay. I'm pretty OCD about keeping the baler, haybine, and rake clean but for some reason I relatively ignored the hay wagon. I have old oil and diesel and may revert to that. I know it works well.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #5  
linseed oil works well. apply until it quits soaking it up. could add a little mineral spirits to thin it if needed.

After looking online and going to Lowes & Home Depot looking at various wood preservatives & sealer offerings, I decided to go with a 50:50 mix used motor oil & diesel. Probably about 80% cheaper even with diesel at $5 gallon around here. The commercial offerings ranged from $25 to $46 a gallon. I already used 4 gallons of my mix so I'm far ahead in the cost category and no worse in longevity of the coating IMO. I'm lathering it on. 2 coats today and a 3rd tomorrow afternoon is the plan. Thx for the replies.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #7  
I've used Cuprinol to lousy success
I've used motor oil diluted in acetone with amazing success. But the wood is always greasy.
I've used Ethelyne glycol with amazing success. Don't let your neighbor's kid chew on it.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #8  
Straight used motor oil here.

I just finished the 3rd complete coat with 4 coats on all of the top surfaces. Happy with the result. The wood is soaking up the mixture like a sponge which is what I was after. Nice dark brown color with the added benefit of the metal running gear now has a good coat of oil on it. New grease in all of the zerks and now ready for the deck install. With the 50:50 mix I'm getting a good drying result with the hot weather here. Not worried about it being greasy anyway as nobody will touch the wood structure in the future. I'll post pics when complete.