Wood preservative for hay wagon.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #21  
I just finished the 3rd complete coat with 4 coats of furniture paint on all of the top surfaces. Happy with the result. The wood is soaking up the mixture like a sponge which is what I was after. Nice dark brown color with the added benefit of the metal running gear now has a good coat of oil on it. New grease in all of the zerks and now ready for the deck install. With the 50:50 mix I'm getting a good drying result with the hot weather here. Not worried about it being greasy anyway as nobody will touch the wood structure in the future. I'll post pics when complete.
The wood may be stained by penetrating oil. If the screw heads are striped, use vice grips to turn them. Replace the nails and pull them out with a hammer or crowbar. Alternatively, use vice grips to pull the nails. Take hold of the nail and use the board as a fulcrum.

Last edited:
   / Wood preservative for hay wagon.
No nails and no stripped screws FYI. All complete happy with the result. Thx

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon. #23  
Not sure if this applies in your case, but many times people only treat the top and sides and forget the underside. Not exposed to the sun, but still gets damp and wood will rot just as easily from the bottom.

/ Wood preservative for hay wagon.
Not sure if this applies in your case, but many times people only treat the top and sides and forget the underside. Not exposed to the sun, but still gets damp and wood will rot just as easily from the bottom.
Every side was coated well at least 3X. The longitudinal oak beams (rough sawn 4 X 10's) were very solid as well as the metal running gear. The running gear got coated as well as I was lathering on the mix. I had to buy a brushless Dewalt impact/driver drill to drive the 8" structural screws. Some of them I had to finish by hand as that wood was "petrified". Fortunately, I have a gravel pad where I store my trailers and equipment which allowed for the drippings instead of in the driveway or grassy areas. I'll probably stain the entire wagon after the treated lumber weathers a bit with SuperDeck stain which we use a lot of already. Thx for the comments.